PVC for oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to get the accentra in the basement this weekend, and I want to connect the oak. The only flex pipe I could find is either 2 or 3", the connector on the stove is 2&1/2 od. I was thinking of trying to get a small exhaust adapter and then transition to pvc with a short length of flex (1' to 18") in between. Is this a bad idea or is pvc a short distance from the stove ok, it would be easier to work with and get a cleaner look on the outside of the house. Thanks....ken.

Ken, Get the right adapter for the OAK. Metal pipe should be used as tempting as the PVC is. There is a proper sized flex metal for the OAKS on Harmans. Might have to get it at the dealer though.

Use the search bar because this has been ask many times and some have come up with very good solutions and other options. Some have had cheap custom made set ups done at a local muffler shop for example. I'd stay away from PVC personally.

I checked the local exhaust shop, I can't believe they didn't have an adapter, also called the local harman dealer, they said just use 3" and clamp the heck out of it.... Very frustrating afternoon! I'll stay away from the pvc. Thanks

2 1/2" flex is made and can be found. Have you looked online? The exhaust shop should have pipe that will work and they should be able to flare the end to fit 3 inch or have some coupling adapter.

I'm fortunate and have a good friend in the metal fab business so if I can not find something I just go there and make it. Just did this for some huge fancy glass door that required a magnetic lock. Nothing to mount it to so just made an aluminum bracket. he hooked me up. We call it on the fly engineering.

Just keep looking and asking around. Anything can be done. Even if some will say it can not.

Problem solved !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 164
The clamping three inch flex works fine. Just don't use PVC for the exhaust. Yeah, it has been done.

pvc corn vent.jpg

Reactions: bogieb and ken372
I remember reading somewhere that using PVC for OAK is against fire codes but don't quote me on that.

Glad you found a good adapter and you were smart enough to listen to Bags - and Brother Bart was kind enough to give visual evidence (admittedly after the fact, but some with harder heads would have needed that). I clamped the heck out of 3", and it works fine. Did have to do the P43 twice since I torqued a hole at the junction the first time.

Ken, Get the right adapter for the OAK. Metal pipe should be used as tempting as the PVC is. There is a proper sized flex metal for the OAKS on Harmans. Might have to get it at the dealer though.

Dealer only carries 3" flex pipe here. I went in a couple of weeks ago (ordering other parts) and the idiot behind the counter said they no longer made Harmans with the 2-3/8 OAK - they went to 3". He actually asked me where I got the measurement (umm, the manual). This is from a well known shop that has sold Harmans for years :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.