Quad 2700i: How Much Minimum Air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
It seems like I get a fair amount of flame when I pull out both primary and secondary rods.
It varies from load to load (wood type?). I haven't been scientific about it.
The air controls do work in that I get results when I open the primary (or secondary, for that matter).
I do get some nice secondary flames when I close down the primary after getting it started, but sometimes it keeps burning fairly well.
Passed dollar bill test last I checked. Maybe I will check for any ash buildup on the gasket too.
What is the minimum air going through the unit? Does it vary from unit to unit?
And, one more: I've never seen a diagram of how these controls work. Would anyone have a cutaway?
Thanks.

Trying to visualize the handles in this one... The pull rod on the right side is the start-up air. Push in and its open, out and its closed. It is just a long steel rod attached to a door on a pivot in the back. There is a hole in the back you can see the flap open and close when you move the rod.

The other air control (primary) it just a rod welded to a plate that slides over a pie shaped hole. Its pie shaped on most units anyway, can't say fro sure. Anyway... I think when its closed all the way its open about 1/4" and whats left is the tip of the pie coming to a point. Not very much air.

Normally you only use the start up air to get new logs going good. Then if you close the primary air down the flames usually will just about go out. This is what happens on every unit I have worked on anyway, from a cold start. I don't even work on things during a reload so I can't say how they work during that stage.

jtp10181 said:
Trying to visualize the handles in this one... The pull rod on the right side is the start-up air. Push in and its open, out and its closed. It is just a long steel rod attached to a door on a pivot in the back. There is a hole in the back you can see the flap open and close when you move the rod.

The other air control (primary) it just a rod welded to a plate that slides over a pie shaped hole. Its pie shaped on most units anyway, can't say fro sure. Anyway... I think when its closed all the way its open about 1/4" and whats left is the tip of the pie coming to a point. Not very much air.

Normally you only use the start up air to get new logs going good. Then if you close the primary air down the flames usually will just about go out. This is what happens on every unit I have worked on anyway, from a cold start. I don't even work on things during a reload so I can't say how they work during that stage.

You're right on with the air controls jtp. As is typical with almost any secondary combustion stove, secondary combustion air is not user controllable or user set. Generally the system is self or thermostatically regulated.

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention the secondary air for the tubes comes in a cut out in the back someplace and is not controllable. It is basically pulled in through the tubes depending on how the stove is running as Corie suggested.

Thanks for the description of the air controls; I'll take a closer look-when the stove is cold, of course!
I'm not saying it's not burning well and that I don't get good secondary burn, just that it seems to burn surprisingly bright even with the air controls closed. It then settles into a nice secondary burn after a while though, so I figure everything is normal.
(The gasket seal passed the dollar bill test. The dollar did get somewhat singed. Doesn't smell good. Not that I haven't burned money before, but not like this. :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.