Quad 7100 cracked fibreboard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dskup

Oct 4, 2007
Minnesota
Can anyone explain to me the design purpose behind the fibreboard and insulation pad over the aux burn baffles tubes? I understand the concept of the secondary burn, I just don't really know how the whole things works.

My fibreboard is cracked into two pieces, down the middle, and I'm wondering if this will contribute to an overheating of the tubes as air passes between the two board pieces. So for it has seemed to affect things much, but I've read the threads about baffle peices bulging and cracking, presumaby because of the insulation not being all the way against the back of the firebox.

Is it possible to caulk them together with a high-temp caulk? The one source I can find wants $75 for the 1.5 sq. foot peice of board. Is this some standard material that I could purchase in sheet form and cut it to size?

it is covered under warranty you should not have to pay for it at all go back to the place you got it from

I'm thinking the purpose of the fiberboard/insulation is to keep the majority of heat in the firebox area to raise the temp high enough for the secondary burn to take place. Their design/placement also create a particular pathway for exiting smoke/heat. Quad manual instructs you to be sure and push board/insulation all the way to rear of stove (so that heat/smoke don't have a direct path to the flue). Seems like you could cool down your stove and push back the two halves of board back together for a temporary fix--even this whole season if need be. However, I wouldn't want to operate it long term with a 1/4" or more wide gap between the two halves.

I would go back to my dealer, except they went belly up a few months ago. But it really doesn't matter, because the end of the warranty statment in my manual has a long list of excluded items, which includes insulating materials.

I actually think the fibre board was cracked from the day it was installed. I'm wondering if the installer dropped it, and just placed to two pieces together.

In any case, it seems like a good idea to fix or replace it. I just can't believe they want 75 bucks for the darn thing. I'm guessing I could buy it as a sheet material somewhere for $15.

But I've also seen caulk that runs up to 1500 degrees or so. I wonder if it would seal the gap.

the board and blanket help to raise the temp in the tubes to get the cleanest burn possible. Contact Quad customer care and they will help you with warrenty

I think 75 might be a good price. I remember reading someone else who cracked it for a different unit and he paid $135. I'm surprised I haven't cracked mine yet as I'm always hitting it trying to jam pieces in to fill the remaining air space in the box.

Well mine is cracked also after only a couple weeks of burning, and I called my dealer and quad sent them a new one. no cost to me. Mine is cracked almost in the middle but a couple inches to the right side of the 7100. I don't plan on replaced mine until I clean the chimney. Which so far won't be until spring. I hope.

I don't notice any difference in the burn or anything. Also it hasn't cracked any worse since I first noticed it, and I also bump and bang my secondary tubes alot trying to fit the last piece of wood in there!
My only question in my mind is did the installer crack it, did i, or was it that way from quad?

Just my 2 cents. Still loving my 7100, even with a 20 deg temp, blowing snow and all it's still 77 deg in here!

I love my 7100 as well. So far it performs way better than expected (I had been using a non-secondary burn stove for years). But I came across the long "cracked baffle" threads and got a bit concerned. I would rather deal with a cracked fibreboard than cracked baffle tubes. I tried calling Quad once before about something else, and they would not talk to me. They said I had to work through my dealer. Looks like I'll be calling another dealer next week, since mine is no longer around.

oak194 said:
Well mine is cracked also after only a couple weeks of burning, and I called my dealer and quad sent them a new one. no cost to me. Mine is cracked almost in the middle but a couple inches to the right side of the 7100. I don't plan on replaced mine until I clean the chimney. Which so far won't be until spring. I hope.

I don't notice any difference in the burn or anything. Also it hasn't cracked any worse since I first noticed it, and I also bump and bang my secondary tubes alot trying to fit the last piece of wood in there!
My only question in my mind is did the installer crack it, did i, or was it that way from quad?

Just my 2 cents. Still loving my 7100, even with a 20 deg temp, blowing snow and all it's still 77 deg in here!

I would replace as soon as you can it cloud cause more problems and over firing of the unit if you dont replace it you may also see short burn times

Are you sure that it is a crack or is it a 2 piece set up? On my new Englander unit, I have a 2 piece fiberboard set up, so the 2 sides touch each other in the center and there is a line in the center that could resemble a crack if a person thought it was supposed to be a 1 piece set up.

dskup said:
Can anyone explain to me the design purpose behind the fibreboard and insulation pad over the aux burn baffles tubes? I understand the concept of the secondary burn, I just don't really know how the whole things works.

My fibreboard is cracked into two pieces, down the middle, and I'm wondering if this will contribute to an overheating of the tubes as air passes between the two board pieces. So for it has seemed to affect things much, but I've read the threads about baffle peices bulging and cracking, presumaby because of the insulation not being all the way against the back of the firebox.

Is it possible to caulk them together with a high-temp caulk? The one source I can find wants $75 for the 1.5 sq. foot peice of board. Is this some standard material that I could purchase in sheet form and cut it to size?

Thanks for starting this post. After having subpar performance from my Englander 30NC with excessive smoking and short burn times I decided to check the fiber boards. Indeed, on was way overlapping the other. After fixing this and starting a new fire it has renewed life back in it. I need everything working to max performance for the upcoming frigid cold weather they are predicting this week. :)

I suppose it could be intentional, but not likely. All other edges are razor sharp cuts, while the "split" down the middle looks like a rough
drywall break.

Check the thread " Ceramic fiberboard supplier ". This might help. I don't know how to actually put the link in this message.

Re above message. The author is Samuel Langdon.

Status
Not open for further replies.