Quad CB1200 feed issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoeRepresent

Oct 28, 2015
Mechanicsburg
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help.

My Quadrafire CB1200 free standing won't feed any pellets to the fire pot. I turn the stove on and the exhaust fan kicks on and nothing else happens.

I've been trying to read other threads off this site and tried some troubleshooting steps.

Firstly I cleaned the stove top to bottom. Took out the auger, cleaning inside the auger tube and used an air can to blow out the vacuum line free of any dust.

My original auger started becoming loud and grinding so I decided to buy a new one. I've tested both augers with direct power and they both work. I re-seated all connections to the auger.

I tried bypassing all 3 snap disks with no luck.

I've also took the cover off my control board, re-seated the control board then observed the start up and it appears that there is only 1 blue light that blinks once every 30-45 seconds or so, no other lights.

Does anyone have any insight to what the blue light means? Any suggestions on what exactly I should look at next?

Thanks

Hey RR,

Welcome to the forum ! Sorry no one else has who has a CB has chimed in to help you yet, but I'll make a couple suggestions, as lots of the Quad trouble shooting stuff is generic. Does your igniter heat up? If the igniter circuit isn't working it won't continue the start-up (see attached start-up sequence). As always, UNPLUG before you do any electrical tests. You can test if the igniter filament is broken with a multi-meter by disconnecting the igniter wires and testing for continuity.

If the igniter is working OK, you can bypass the vacuum switch like you did with the snap discs and see if that starts the auger feed. If the auger feeds, then your vac switch could be bad (less likely) or more likely you have a vacuum leak somewhere - door seal leak, burn pot trap door isn't closing completely, or the auger nipple connection to the vac hose can be plugged with sawdust. You mentioned you blew out the vac hose, did you clean the auger nipple with a straightened out paper clip or toothpick to make sure it isn't plugged up ?

Do you have a newer model CB that has the hopper seal ? The hopper switch or hopper seals are notorious for causing problems that kick out the vacuum circuit as well. As far as your blue light at plug-in, I think 1 flash every 10 secs for a minute is the normal sequence for the CB, then it quits flashing. Check the above stuff and post back.

Regards, DK

Attachments

• Quad start-up sequence pg1.jpeg
    Quad start-up sequence pg1.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Quad start-up sequence pg2.jpeg
    Quad start-up sequence pg2.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 133
Last edited by a moderator:
DK,

Thanks for your reply. Really helpful info there.

The igniter seems to be working because after I turn it on and the exhaust fan comes on and the fire pot becomes hot.

How would I go about bypassing the vacuum switch? Just hooking up power to the red and black wires that plug into the switch so there is constant power to it? And yes, I did make sure no dust is in the line host or nipple.

I'm not too sure if I have the newer model of CB. I bought it about 4 years ago. The hopper door has to be shut for the stove to activate again and there is a wire terminating at the vacuum switch which makes sure the hopper door is shut.

Thanks for the help.

OK, that rules out your igniter as the problem. Unplug the stove (standard disclaimer!), then you can bypass the vacuum switch by disconnecting the two wires that go to it and jumper them together. A pre-made jumper wire made out of a short piece of similar sized electrical wire, with male spade connectors spliced onto each end of the jumper wire, works best. Then you plug the female connectors that normally go to the vacuum switch into the male jumper wire connectors to complete the vacuum circuit. This is an important stove safety mechanism, so only do this as a temporary trouble shooting procedure (another standard disclaimer).

In a pinch, a straightened out paper clip or piece of electrical wire with the ends stripped back that you stick an end into each female spade connector will work. To prevent the paper clip or piece of electrical wire from accidentally getting bumped and falling out, and / or touching metal, potentially frying your expen$ive control box, I would wrap the connections with electrical tape to be safe. Then you can plug the stove back in and see if the auger will feed. If it does, then you know you have a problem somewhere in the vacuum circuit, or your control box. Try that and post back again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple thing first. Have you pushed the reset button? Does this start feeding pellets?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I got the stove working this weekend. Turned out being the positive connection going to the vacuum switch wasn't making enough contact to power the switch. I redid the connector and works like a charm.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I got the stove working this weekend. Turned out being the positive connection going to the vacuum switch wasn't making enough contact to power the switch. I redid the connector and works like a charm.
Glad to hear you're running again - a simple and inexpensive fix is always one to appreciate ! Thanks for touching base back.

Status
Not open for further replies.