Quad Mt Vernon AE igniter issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
I have one that is burning igniters out in 1 week. I had home owner check. Hand lit the stove with voltage meter hooked to igniter supply wires. Turned on stove and got voltage to igniter leads. Voltage to igniter circuit stayed on for approx 15 minutes went from ss low medium then hi. Igniter turned off when it hit hi. Seems like excessive on time for igniter is burning igniter out?
-Does the burn pot tc sense temp to let the stove know when it hits low med and hi or is it just a timed thing.
- Does the igniter go out when the burn pot tc hit a certain temp?
- Burn pot and ceramic tc cover were replaced just prior to continuous igniter failures.

I know the TC detects temps for auger control during start up, and im sure it is a factor in the “end of start up time”. But I don’t think it has any control over the igniter. I could be wrong ive never been into the quad control box.

What year stove and what control board do you have, and what are you burning? The older models fuel tables, the igniter stayed on till hi. Newer boards and stoves, it shuts off when it hits ssmed. This is with burning corn. kap

It was installed the first or second year the AE came out. We only sold them the first two years they came out. Home owner ordered igniters online and burnt thru 3. I have not had to trouble shoot one of these yet. Would you suggest a igniter from a different source? I remember hooking a laptop to a AE to update software (not this one). Would that be suggested?

Still depends on what control board he has, and what he is burning. If he is burning pellets, he can get the less wattage igniters. kap

Kap,
He is burning pellets and said he got the 300w igniters. We cant find the cable to hook into wall control. Must have got lost. Suppose to get the cable and updated fuel tables loaded onto laptop. We had the laptop and cable but cable was not in the bag. Then HHT will have to send version 4 fuel table I think they said?

Yes, that version is the newest, but problem with downloading fuel tables is if you scroll past things in the wall control, they will delete and it will go back to original fuel tables. If I am remembering correct. I would ask Quad about that. I would still like to know what revision control board he has. And I would also check to see if there is anything in igniter housing that would make it blow, or if it is getting installed correctly so that it isn't touching the housing, as that will shorten life span also. No matter what, he shouldn't be going thru them that quick, unless something is wrong. This is the first time I've heard of igniters going out in a week. I never did buy the book from Quad, I just sent a flashdrive to them and they downloaded the new fuel tables onto it and sent it back to me.kap

I will keep updates posted. I have not been out to the stove since this problem started. As far as the igniter, The washer is being used between igniter and square tube. We replaced the upper burn pot this winter with the new igniter tube attached. Customer claims problem started then? I just thought it may be chance? We did not supply the igniters so there are still alot of variables here.

Ok. We have the new fuel tables and the cord to hook up to the wall control. Hopefully Kap sees this. He seems to be the most knowledgeable about the AE. It has a service wall control in case existing wall control does not have the access port. We are in ohio so elevation is approx. 900 ft. If i use the service wall control do i still do the download names from wall control and upload names to wall control? Then in fuel tables 000 has utfi000r030, r031 and r040. I assume the r030 would be low elevation like we are. Thanks for any help Kap can give me or if anybody else has any advice for fuel tables.

Yes, those are low altitude fuel tables. High altitude ones have Ro31HE at the end. Do you have your installation instructions for downloading fuel tables? It is too much to try and tell over internet.DO you have your Fuel Table Manager on your computer? kap

Anything 040 is the newest I believe. If you got all the new stuff, you should have the Field Diagnostic tool to download and that tells you how to do everything.kap

In 2/07, they came out with the new fuel tables that shortened ignite on time. Those are the 020 fuel tables., In3/09 they came out with fuel tables that inproved fuel to air ratio. These are the 030 fuel tables. kap

Yes, you still have to download a fuel table, to upload one. kap

Yes we have newest tables downloaded. I confirmed w/ home owner that they have the hookup on existing wall control. I opened the program at home yesterday and read thru some of the directions. I need to go over them again. I need to try to hook my printer to laptop w/ hht program to see if I can print directions. It id a small laptop from HHT and it is a little hard to read from small screen.

Not sure on the "fuel table manager" Is it a seperate file/program ? Is that where your old fuel table goes when you put the new one in?

If you have the new stuff, it has the Field diagnostic tool set up. It has the tables in it under fuel tables, and has the area to download old fuel tables. kap

I got new fuel tables downloaded to the stove. Igniter dropped when it went into sslow like it should instead of staying on until hi. Seems like all went well.

Glad you got it figured out. Tell customer to watch things as sometimes scrolling past things on wall control, will make it default back to original. And sometimes just loosing power can make it default back, and will also make it go to quiet fan, from normal. Some will even default back to sunflower seed on fuel setting. Maybe they got these things fixed on this last go around, but just something to keep in mind. But even with the igniter staying on till sshi, those igniters shouldn't be burning out in a week. kap

Thanks for the tips. I agree on the igniter life span. Maybe he had a bad batch of igniters? Not sure if they were oem of aftermarket. I put a 300w HHT igniter in. We will see...

Hope it is a happy stove now. kap