Quadra Fire 27-i ACC Insert Automatic Fan Concern

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm been trying to figure out this issue for awhile now. We exclusively burn wood and our Quadra Fire insert keeps the house very warm. Our insert has the fan that attaches to the front of the stove blows cooler air from the living space around the back of the stove and out the top. It does a great job warming the house up quickly. I will try and explain the situation I'm experiencing.

My issue is the automatic fan control. It seems to have a mind of its own. I've been using this stove for 3 winters now and I cannot figure out a consistent way to get the fan to turn on when the stove gets hot. I've noticed a couple times the stove of the stove starts to turn a little red and the fan still hasn't turned on. At that point I turn the fan to the on position and just let it run.

I keep the fan clean and it all seems to run fine. Sometimes the fan turns at what I would consider a safe temp but sometimes it doesn't. I have a thermostat on the top left of the stove and another one on the chimney bricks. I have a pretty good idea when the fan is supposed to turn on (temperature wise). It's worrisome when it doesn't. I don't see any pattern to this, other that if the fire is concentrated to the middle of the firebox but I don't see how they could have designed a stove that overheats.

Any advise would be appreciated. I cannot find a separate thermostat part, so I assume it is a part of the fan? I guess I'm at a loss trying to figure out why there is this variability with the fan. It worries me leaving the stove unattended because I'm worried about damaging the stove. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It could be a defective snap disc thermostat or perhaps it isn't making good contact with the stove body? Look at page 24 for replacement instructions. I would try a little thin shimming of the snap switch first. If that doesn't work, replace it.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 7.40.08 PM.png

Absolutely- any part of the stove glowing and the blower not on is an indication of snap disk issue not making proper contact with stove body or is defective. I'd run in manual until you get is serviced/replaced.

I'm been trying to figure out this issue for awhile now. We exclusively burn wood and our Quadra Fire insert keeps the house very warm. Our insert has the fan that attaches to the front of the stove blows cooler air from the living space around the back of the stove and out the top. It does a great job warming the house up quickly. I will try and explain the situation I'm experiencing.

My issue is the automatic fan control. It seems to have a mind of its own. I've been using this stove for 3 winters now and I cannot figure out a consistent way to get the fan to turn on when the stove gets hot. I've noticed a couple times the stove of the stove starts to turn a little red and the fan still hasn't turned on. At that point I turn the fan to the on position and just let it run.

I keep the fan clean and it all seems to run fine. Sometimes the fan turns at what I would consider a safe temp but sometimes it doesn't. I have a thermostat on the top left of the stove and another one on the chimney bricks. I have a pretty good idea when the fan is supposed to turn on (temperature wise). It's worrisome when it doesn't. I don't see any pattern to this, other that if the fire is concentrated to the middle of the firebox but I don't see how they could have designed a stove that overheats.

Any advise would be appreciated. I cannot find a separate thermostat part, so I assume it is a part of the fan? I guess I'm at a loss trying to figure out why there is this variability with the fan. It worries me leaving the stove unattended because I'm worried about damaging the stove. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
You should be able to leave the stove unattended with or without the blower snd there should never be anything glowing. Can you explain your setup and burn procedures.