Quadra Fire 4100I On the way!!! Block off Plate????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyf0614

Hearth Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
Good news everyone, I just order my first insert! A Quadra fire 4100I. It will be installed with the flex stainless steel liner on Feb. 15th!!! Anyone have any suggestions on breaking it in and the use of it????

The SS Liner will be a full liner through the chimney. Chimney is an outside chimney. It didn't sound like the installer is installing a block off plate, saying its not needed due to the full liner installation. I just want to make sure that is correct.....

Put the back off plate in.
It will be a lot easier and cheaper to do it before the insert goes in.
I also can not see where it would hurt to put it in and not need it than not put it in and discover you did need it.

You want a block off plate. Without one half your heat will be going up the flue (between the masonry and the liner) and heating the chimney and the great outdoors. On top of the block off plate put some high temp insulation ( kaowool ) for even less loss

johnnyf0614 said:
Chimney is an outside chimney.
I assume this is brick. The block off plate may not be "needed", but it will help keep from heating the outdoors. Also, I wonder if he's wrapping insulation around that flex steel liner? It will help improve (at certain times) much needed draft for that 4100i. These are things I did as slight "overkill" and am now glad I did. No regrets this way.

Sounds like we have the same setup. Hope this helps.

granpajohn said:
johnnyf0614 said:
Chimney is an outside chimney.
I assume this is brick. The block off plate may not be "needed", but it will help keep from heating the outdoors. Also, I wonder if he's wrapping insulation around that flex steel liner? It will help improve (at certain times) much needed draft for that 4100i. These are things I did as slight "overkill" and am now glad I did. No regrets this way.

Sounds like we have the same setup. Hope this helps.

Yes it is brick. Thanks for the info.

The liner should be insulated if at all possible. Are they doing this?

A block off plate will benefit you with a hotter stove and less heat heading straight outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.