Quadra fire 4300 radiant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stovepiper

Sep 21, 2021
Canada
We are scheduled to install a quadra fire 4300 in mid November. However, I am just now reading two things that concern me:

1. It’s radiant heat, meaning it needs a blower? The primary reason for us to go for a wood stove over a ZC fireplace like the Valcourt Lafayette was due to the possibility of heating without a blower (ie during an outage).

2. I have read that the more recent ACT version is much cheaper and less reliable than the earlier ACC. I admit that most glowing reviews I’ve read on here date to pre-2016.

Does anyone have experience with the current quadra fire millennium?

There is still time for me to switch to another option, such as the GM 60.

All stoves are radiant, a totally convective stove or insert will rely more on a blower. The 4300 will heat well without the blower. The blower option can help distribute the heat better and faster, but it's not necessary in many cases. This more about the stove location, ceiling height, and floorplan than radiant vs convective stoves.

As noted, during a power outage the ceiling fan will not be running and hot air is going to pocket at the peak of the cathedral ceiling, regardless of the stove.

Thank you! I think I was worried about the fact that the sides wouldn’t radiate, but I see your point that it would all go upwards anyway.

Would one of these be helpful?

The sides have shields that are open with a slit at the top to permit natural convection. The GM60 has cast iron sides that will be more radiant than the 4300 on the sides. But most of the heat will be felt from the front and top. The 4300 has 20% greater fuel capacity and can handle more wood when loaded N/S. The GM60 is an E/W loader so actual real world fuel load may be closer to 1.5 cu ft. in order to prevent logs from falling against the glass.

Ecofans move a little air, but not enough with the cathedral ceiling to make a big difference. I see that now Caframo has a larger EcoFan AirMax that will move a bit more air, but haven't tried that one.