Quadra Fire Classic Bay 1200 sealant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JGroUSMC

Dec 1, 2015
Slatington, PA
Hello, so I finally replaced the window gaskets on my Classic Bay 1200. I honestly feel like the seal isn’t the best. Nothing shows me that it’s not good, I just don’t trust it. So I was thinking.....has anyone ever used a sealant around the windows? I know the top of the windows are a wash so those obviously can’t be sealed, but I was wondering if anyone ever did the bottom three sides or each window? The only sealant I have seen so far is rated at 500 degrees, but that can’t be high enough. Thoughts?

Ran one for 5 years, never had an issue or concern about the seal. If it wasn't making a good seal the stove would stop working because it would not be able to maintain the proper vacuum in the combustion chamber.

Reactions: Ssyko and kappel15
Ran one for 5 years, never had an issue or concern about the seal. If it wasn't making a good seal the stove would stop working because it would not be able to maintain the proper vacuum in the combustion chamber.

I am saying I just replaced all the window seals because air was getting in and I was getting tons of ash within minutes. I feel like I may have not sealed it correctly this time. I am going to fire it up tonight and see what happens.

The ash could be from dirty fuel and not from air leakage. If air was getting in the vacuum switch should cut out and turn off the stove. Does the door latch snugly?

Reactions: Ssyko and kappel15
The ash could be from dirty fuel and not from air leakage. If air was getting in the vacuum switch should cut out and turn off the stove. Does the door latch snugly?

Wonderful, that was a waste of a few hours replacing everything. I hope I didn't screw anything up....... I will keep you posted. Thanks for the info though.

well I went home and tried it and something is seriously wrong. I plug it in and after 25 minutes the exhaust fan is still running. It’s calling for pellets, but None are dropping. I don’t even hear the auger moving. There stove is completely cleaned out. Even after I turned the thermostat off, the exhaust fan ran for another 20 minutes and won’t shut off. Any ideas?

They can sometimes run up to 20 minutes. If it runs indefinitely the triac for that motor probably got blown in a power surge and you need a new control board.

Also, when you say the stove is completely clean, be specific about what you cleaned. I cleaned a 1200 FS yesterday that a guy had cleaned everything but under the pot and the vacuum line because he didn’t know about either of those.

I have the quadra fire classic bay and removed the windows to replace the gaskets, rope also. Is there a diagram or picture of where and how to reinstall the gaskets on the windows. I'm hearing talk about air, and three sides to cover. Can someone help me...I'm freezing...lol

I don’t know of a video on the cb1200 . But if you have removed the old gasket the new one would go back on in the reverse of removal. That bay window is a tough one to do, thank god I’ve never had to do mine. Just the door gasket

I don’t know of a video on the cb1200 . But if you have removed the old gasket the new one would go back on in the reverse of removal. That bay window is a tough one to do, thank god I’ve never had to do mine. Just the door gasket
Thanks, I thought logically that would happen when I took it apart...but there was not much left of it. It just fell apart. This is all that is left. I had assumed that the gasket went around each of the three windows...but not sure now. Plus the two side posts...ugggg

Attachments

• window gasket.jpg
    window gasket.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 201
Yes, I have the framework. It's the positioning of the gaskets that have be baffled. They don't explain if the gaskets go around the entire window on all three. I don't know what they mean by air wash spacers.

The glass gaskets goes around three sides of the glass.....the tops of the glass do not get gasket material as that is the "airwash system" portion of the door. When you took it apart, underneath the two metal retaining bars there should have been two small metal pieces that sort of look like tiny bat wings. Sometimes they get silicone on them and easy to miss and accidentally throw out....anyway, those spacers go underneath the two metal retainers (one under each retainer at the top). The shape of the spacer conforms to the door.

Make sure you use the correct size gasket, with self adhesive, around the glass....if it's too thick it will be extremely difficult to get the glass back together with all the retainers and brackets.

Its hard to explain but the older 1200's had the glass gasket around two sides of the glass (which is what yours looks like) and then used a strip of gasket stuck on the door itself and on top for the "third side" to seal. The newer 1200's (maybe from '07 ish on) have the gasket material on three sides of the glass and that's all, no extra loose strips on the door.

cbglass2.jpg
cbglass2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ssyko
The glass gaskets goes around three sides of the glass.....the tops of the glass do not get gasket material as that is the "airwash system" portion of the door. When you took it apart, underneath the two metal retaining bars there should have been two small metal pieces that sort of look like tiny bat wings. Sometimes they get silicone on them and easy to miss and accidentally throw out....anyway, those spacers go underneath the two metal retainers (one under each retainer at the top). The shape of the spacer conforms to the door.

Make sure you use the correct size gasket, with self adhesive, around the glass....if it's too thick it will be extremely difficult to get the glass back together with all the retainers and brackets.

Its hard to explain but the older 1200's had the glass gasket around two sides of the glass (which is what yours looks like) and then used a strip of gasket stuck on the door itself and on top for the "third side" to seal. The newer 1200's (maybe from '07 ish on) have the gasket material on three sides of the glass and that's all, no extra loose strips on the door.

View attachment 269691View attachment 269691
OMG! That's exactly what I was looking for...THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! That explains it. So grateful... you have no idea. THANK YOU AGAIN!

Reactions: Ssyko