Quadra Fire Classic Bay - new here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for pointing out where/how to upload.

okay, so attached are 2 pictures of my classic bay (had to take one with the lights off to get that I'm burning fire in my home feel). I'll save my Q&A for then end, so settle down and enjoy the ride.

Experience (rate 5.5)
The store called me on Friday to confirm my install yesterday and told me that both my stoves would be installed and the install guys will have my ash vac. so no need for me to go to the store. The guys show up to my house an hour late - they did call to let me know they were running late so I cant fault them for that. No ash vac. on hand, no second stove. The install took ~3 hours. In my opinion it shouldn't have taken more than 2.

Stove (rate 8/9)
What holds it back from the 9/10 is my lack of knowledge honestly. After realizing the stove wouldn't work unless it has the thermostat attached (which wasn't hooked up) I busted out the instructions and hooked that sucker up and got it going. Even on low it puts out a buttload of heat kept my house at a cozy 74 after only running for 2 hours. Hopper claims it holds 80lbs but it really seems like 60lbs is it's limit. Attached picture is the flame on high. So now without further ramblings I shall pose my questions.

1- attached pic (on high setting) doesn't look to be 4-6" flame (or is it?). Is that flame size supposed to be constant or will id reduce to a small "flicker" contained within the pot till it gets more fuel?

2- can this be used without having a thermostat attached?

3- when I finally got it working it shot a bunch of smoke into my house. is this normal or did I fubar the initial run?

4- obviously im using a lower grade pellet SC, so I can only imagine next season when I use the good stuff.

5-There is a large "turd" in the pot. this I presume is a clunker? get rid of these daily?

6-clearly they left me up craps creek without much instruction.

7-am I missing any questions?

Attachments

• 20150119_160527.jpg
    20150119_160527.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 20150119_160822.jpg
    20150119_160822.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 122
Looking nice.

No second stove? so they will come back for that one later on?

Hopefully a Quadrafire user will chime in on your questions.

As for the ash vac, the PowerSmith PAVC101 10 Amp Ash Vacuum has gotten good reviews here. That would be my choice is I had to get a new one.

yea, they are going to come back next month for the second one...or so they claim.

Post pictures of the exhaust pipes behind the stove and outside of the house, it will help people diagnose the smoke issue better.

might have to wait for the weekend by the time I get home its dark out, but will do.

Did you see smoke come out of the stove? New stoves do smell when they are lit for the first time..

some came out of the blower when I first started it up, but that could be from my previous attempts to start the stove (pre thermostat install) when nothing happened. after I aired out the house no more smoke came through. Was curious if this would happen every time I start the stove.

No smoke should come out into room.

Well, if it came out before the stove got hot, it probably is pellet smoke on start up. It would be a leak that gets sucked out the heat exchange system, probably from the vent pipes. Once the stove gets hot you don't get as much smoke anymore and it drafts better, so you get less smoke leaking out, to the point where you don't notice it anymore.

Now if the smoke came after the stove got really hot, and it smelled chemically, then that is the stove paint curing. They should have warned you about this. But it only happens on the first fire.

The fire box will fill with smoke when lighting..then when it lights get blown out exhaust.

At night, with all the lights off, take a flashlight and start up the stove. Shine the flashlight on the back of the stove, around the vent pipe, the seams are a good place to look. You will see the wisps of smoke that are leaking out. It has to be on start up though, when there is a lot of smoke.

well, as you can tell I wasn't told very much. Does anyone know about hooking this up to a wireless thermostat? Or do thermostats have to be hardwired to stoves?

There are many knowledgable Quad owners here and they will be glad to help when they see your questions. Tjnamtiw has good info on Quads as does kappel15 (Kap) so let's see what they have to say. There are others also with good info on Quads.

Why didn't the installer hook up the stat? I'd say that is part on the installation to get the stove up and running. My suggestion is to really read up on your manual and any and all info you can concerning your stoves. This will answer some of your questions but also familiarize you and make getting advice much easier. This forum and you reading is the best tech and service you can get. As seen already with the not so thorough installer and such you've already experience.

Read, re-read, and read some more. Stay in tune here and frequent the forum because others will pop up with stuff that will be very helpful. Even if it is a different brand of stove there is still much that can be learned.

Reactions: DMKNLD
Said it's not his thing to do - talking about the thermostat that is.

Allot of folks have had good luck with the Skytech wireless t-stat: http://www.amazon.com/Skytech-TS-Wireless-Thermostat-Fireplace/dp/B000FSAACU

But your Quad *should* come included with the hardwired t-stat if I'm not mistaken.

You are plunking down some big $$$$ to this dealer / installer, skel. From what I've gathered so far for you: not being willing to install an OAK, not getting you your second stove, not doing a trial burn, not installing a thermostat, questionable venting issues, little to no 'point of purchase' support.....Now claiming that these are 'not his thing to do' apparently.

I'd be all over that guy 'like a cheap suit' that he do the install right, or fully refund your money ! That, IMO should be your 'thing to do'' response for the things he has chosen not to do for you.

Too many similar horror story install experiences from this forum tell me yours is on the way to that !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bags
It comes with a hardwired thermo, but I just sheetrocked/painted and don't really want to put holes in the walls or remove trim to hide the wire.

The OAK wasn't mentioned by the dealer and the installer said in the 20+ years he's only installed 2 OAK's both of which were in mobile homes. I'm trying my best to be nice with the dealer, but if push comes to shove i'll unleash my wife on them. Personally I thought I was putting down good money as well, but it seems as per the dealer I went "the budget" route, which is what had me questioning if the quads were good stoves to begin with.

The question now becomes do I want to cause a big stink before the installer comes back to my home, as he's made several references to how "nice" my home is and random things I have around.

I did notice a "random" screw on the floor this morning now that I think about it behind the stove.

Off topic - in my sig do I put the year my stove was installed or the year it was built? If its the later then how do I find that out.

You have to give the dealer a chance. He is your best source of support for now (and in the future for warranty claims), and maybe they are having a bad day. But installing OAK should not be a big deal for them.

See how they respond to the smoke issue first. If they dismiss it as normal smoke on start up, then you know you are getting the run around.

Use the flashlight trick tonight and see how badly it leaks first. Some vent pipes smoke more than others and require more finishing help to get them not to smoke.

What vent pipe system did they use?

no clue on the vent pipes. id have to check my work order on that (tonight).

And make sure you use a good surge protector for the stove.

of course it's on a good surge...=\ *puts that on list*

$20 surge protector or an $80 UPS will save you on a $400 control board!

I have a bunch hanging out around the house. Going to mount my tv above it so will prob throw it on that surge.

X 2 with what DMKNLD stated.
You can put both dates if you want. Are they both new stoves? If so install dates will do. I put the year with mine because they will vary some and it helps forum members identify your model and year in offering help. Quads are good units so put that to rest. Many installers and dealers are clowns and we see that here often but like Vinny says give them a chance first. Bottom line they are your stoves so you need to become familiar with them to a large degree.

The fact this dealer does not recommend OAKs and has only averaged one install per decade raises a flag here. OAKs are great to have although not required sometimes. Your stove will work just fine but IMO OAKs are a necessity. A few will argue otherwise so I will just let them talk in circles and entertain themselves. They work and it's all about air exchange rates, drafty homes, etc; Good bang for the buck. Many do not install them because in some instances it can be a task.

Many run wireless stats but each stove might be specific as to the what, where, when, and how to. Do a search wit your stove model and wireless stat and I bet you find many things.

Last edited:
Well worth it. I had an older (and very expensive list price) Avaya UPS hooked to mine. Nice setup with extra "bank" of batteries attached. Would run the stove for about 3 days. Well, one day a month or so ago, the wife calls me and says there was a wind storm with some sleet and snow. Said the power browned out like 6 times and now she can't get the stove to come on. Had her look at the UPS and sure enough it was dead. No lights. Had her move the stove to the surge protector plugged into the wall and it came right up. Damn brownouts fried the boards in the UPS, but it saved my stove. UPS was old and I got it for a real good deal from a telco upgrade project so no big loss. Got a newer APC 1500 to slap in the following day. I work in IT so getting my hands on this stuff is easier.

Point is, protect your investments. Take care of them and they will keep you nice and warm for the long run.

Reactions: vinny11950
I have to give the benefit of the doubt to every retail or service provider that they are 'doing their best, as they have it figured out'. That said, from fellow forum discussions highlighting both successes and non-successes with their stove install experience, clearly some dealers have it figured out better than others.

I think a polite but pointed discussion with your dealer will help tell you if he is willing to 'make it right' for you or not. Tell him you're trying to be as educated and knowledgeable of a consumer as possible by researching on-line and at this forum on how to troubleshoot your stove operation issues, but that an on-line forum or message board shouldn't have to be a substitute for after-purchase dealer support.

Your smoke / venting issues, like vinny said, should be yours and his #1 first priority. That is beyond a customer satisfaction issue - that is health and safety issue. Do you have smoke and CO detectors up and running ?

If not, you should not run that stove until you do, and /or the dealer gets back to check the venting.

Status
Not open for further replies.