Quadra Fire Mt Vernon making a loud BANG/POP noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

theheightseatery

Feb 3, 2022
PA
Our Quadra Fire Mt Vernon has been making a loud BANG/POP noise lately. About 5-10 times a day.
We did a complete winter clean out a few months back. I clean the box and empty the ash tray every 2-3 days.
Starts up right away, Shutdown normally. No error codes.
I recently changed the Thermos TC DROP TUBE. After replacing it, pellet stove works as normal except the loud bang/pop noise I hear every day.
Please assist... ty

pos. oil canning side panels?

Hi Johneh,

Ty for the response. I took the side panels off. No signs of oil canning.
I left the side panels off the pellet stove. I still hear the POP/BANG every couple of hours.
Could it be something else? Please assist. Ty

Are your pellets on the long side over 1 in ?
If there are long pellets the auger will crunch them up making a pop or bang.

Gonna re-post this here, it may apply, but is just good info anyway--
There is "clean", and then there is "clean". There are many threads here about pellets not "sliding" down the hopper. Well, many times it is from not being "clean". What happens with heat and wood pellets? Lignin seeps out. It's sticky. Guess what, it does not only happen in the hopper, it happens in the auger tube and drop tube. Clean them also, especially on older units. If pellets can stop from sliding downhill, they also can be restricted while being pushed uphill. If you rub your finger on one of these surfaces, and it "grabs" your skin, instead of just sliding, needs cleaned. Usually just a bit of soap and water, but sometimes chemicals are needed. All part of a full service on a pellet stove. Just more thoughts from the peanut gallery, have a great day!

Reactions: johneh
Mine does it too. I think it's the auger binding and chopping a pellet.

You hear the tension build and then the loud "ping" or pop as the tension is released and the energy gets sent through the stove like a guitar string.

The Mt. Vernon is basically like a huge sound resonance chamber. It amplifies the noises of the machine/ airflow and transmits them to the room.

Even just the pellets sliding down into the burn pot sound like you are dropping ball bearings onto the hood of a car.

Looks great. But sounds aweful.

I love the look of the stove but prob going to replace it just because of the noises unless anyone knows modifications that can be made.

Reactions: Mt Bob