Quadra-fire mt vernon not feeding pellets after first fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Edson

Oct 1, 2019
Ed271176
Hi there,
I’m new here and trying to get some help with my quadra-fire mt vernon.
It’s a 2004 mt vernon OE and the issue is when we first turn it on it starts feeding pellets, ignites and all. After the first fire we hear a click, calling for more pellets I believe, but nothing happens and the fire dies unless we press the reset button and pellets start dropping again, and after that works fine until it reaches the temperature. After it shuts down when thermostat calls for heat, pellets drop again but if we don’t press te reset button it dies.
Not sure what it could be. I try bypassing snap disc 1,2 and 4. Try bypassing vacuum switch. The tc is new. The stove is clean. All vents are clean. The only thing I can think of is the control board needs to be replaced.
Can anyone help? Tips? Ideas? Guesses ?

Thanks in advance.
Edson

Check to see if thermocouple tip is touching very end of ceramic cap and that no ash is inside.

If you can access the control box check for an amber light indicating a thermocouple issue.

After initial fire, do you see a green LED in the control box? This should turn red after a few minutes, if not then it will eventually stop feeding pellets and as you stated, fire dies out.

Is your hopper feed gate open enough to permit good charging of pellets during initial feed?

Are pellets unusually long or damp?

Only thing I would add is if the green light does not come on, stove has not reached 200* and will go into shutdown mode, and not feed any more fuel. With you hitting the reset button, you start the cycle all over again, and it can reach temp. kap

Check to see if thermocouple tip is touching very end of ceramic cap and that no ash is inside.

If you can access the control box check for an amber light indicating a thermocouple issue.

After initial fire, do you see a green LED in the control box? This should turn red after a few minutes, if not then it will eventually stop feeding pellets and as you stated, fire dies out.

Is your hopper feed gate open enough to permit good charging of pellets during initial feed?

Are pellets unusually long or damp?

Thank you so much for the tip.
I checked the tc and it is touching the ceramic cover and the inside of cover is clean.
No amber light, and the blue light isn’t there when I first start the stove.
Now that I pressed the reset button the green lights is on and the ted came right after.
The fire is big in the pot.
Hopper is way open for the feed and pellets are the same I’ve being using since I got the stove 2 years ago.

Only thing I would add is if the green light does not come on, stove has not reached 200* and will go into shutdown mode, and not feed any more fuel. With you hitting the reset button, you start the cycle all over again, and it can reach temp. kap
Thank you so much!

You still have an issue tho, if you have to hit the reset button to get stove to go thru cycles. kap

Try throwing a handful of pellets in pot, before you call for heat, and see if that helps the stove to start on its own. Let us know. And i would make sure the exhaust path is clear. This means thru stove and pipe. Had a guy said his was clean, and stove was acting up. He had a tech come and take exhaust fan out and clean. Stove worked great after that. kap

Try throwing a handful of pellets in pot, before you call for heat, and see if that helps the stove to start on its own. Let us know. And i would make sure the exhaust path is clear. This means thru stove and pipe. Had a guy said his was clean, and stove was acting up. He had a tech come and take exhaust fan out and clean. Stove worked great after that. kap

Great idea!
Well I just did that and IT WORKED! Had the initial fire, after a minute or so the green light came on and after turned to red and pellets are dropping very well.
Now the big question, how do I fix that?
Thank you so much!

Evidently you are not getting enough fuel for startup, to reach the 200*, and green light comes on, and fuel starts dropping again. Use a mirror and flashlight and look up droptube, to see if there are any blockages or long pellets blocking opening at top. Something to try is setting control box to 2. This increases fuel 10%. Make sure to unplug stove first before changing setting. Same if you set it back to 1. See how fires does as you may need to adjust feed rate some to compensate. You said same fuel you been using for years, but batches change, or leftovers can get moist. Stay warm. kap