quadra-fire overheat issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msdickerson

Nov 6, 2008
Upstate NY
www.pinkyjaq.com
Hi all - I have an intermittent problem with our Castile Quadra-fire pellet stove. I have new horizontal vent with a run to an outside verticle vent pipe, nice and clean, and keep the stove clean (pot, pipes, bin). It runs nice most the time with a fast flame (yellow) and normal soot buildup. But once in a while, it gets into an overheat situation, with the last one happening, in conjunction with lots of smoke coming into the house. I am guessing that it might be the exhaust blower motor, or maybe the controller. Oh yea, the #2 snap switch seems to have come into play, as the feed was stopped during the overheat. The outside of the stove (top) actually got quite hot to touch even with the room blower fan working 100%.

Does that sound reasonable or could there be other type issues?

normally this stove works quite nice and immediately before the last smoke/overheat situation, was running clean and free of smell/smoke.

Is it possible your convection fan is not working all the time? When I first started the stove up this year, mine was frozen. I took it off, cleaned it up, and it works fine. If it doesn't work, it causes the stove to over heat and snap number 2 as you probably know. It sounds like you've check this by your post already, just a thought.

Convection fan, not combustion (exhaust?). The twin squirrel cages on the lower back of the stove, a couple screws (just loosen) on either side. Don't over lube, just attracts more dirt.

Got ya. That would do it too, I guess. You'd think the fire would tell you the tale if the combustion fan was stalling though, wouldn't you? Does it get really lazy flame?

I had not been around for the actual stall, but deduced that the exhaust fan must have stalled somehow because I got smoke too - it actually started coming out of the ash drawer when it happened. (no blockage whatsoever).

Get a 12 pack or bottle of wine or two and some munchies. If you have a spouse and/or kids, tell them to get out of the house as this could be very dangerous. Once they are gone, grab your favorite book or remote and dig in for the long haul. Fill the stove with pellets and a glass with a beverage of choice, and kick back. Once you figure it out (it may take days depending on your situation), call the family and tell them you fixed it. You'll be a hero! Considering the stove performance, do you have a CO detector or two? Is this a free standing? You've cleaned good, correct? Right brick out and vacuumed the fan good?

Hey, by the way! If you take the combustion fan off, you'll most likely need a new gasket! They are fragile and often fall apart if you remove the fan! After the family is gone and you're on the way to the liquor store, stop by the local stove shop and get the gasket. Get out your wallet, the little bitty chitty gasket will $15-30, IF they have them in stock.

If the combustion fan stalls you will loose pressure and the vac switch would shut the stove down.

"and normal soot buildup" Normal would be none, pellet stoves do not soot unless they are not burning clean.

Have you removed the baffles inside and cleaned out all the chambers? When these are clogged it restricts air flow and causes the stove to soot, eventually leading to it overheating and tripping the over limit snap switch.

To set the feed rate on Quad units I push it all the way down and then open about 1/4" from there. On every single stove I have worked on this was a good setting.

jtp is good, much better than me fyi!

If you have never taken the baffles out that is your problem. That area must be cleaned at minimum annually. Quad recommends every 1 ton of fuel for best performance.
------
You actually never did say how old the stove was, so this might not even need to be done yet.

Ahhhh! Top baffle, little latch on the front edge, push the latch up and pull the baffle forward and down. Back bricks, left and right up and out or center screw on center brick, then left and right. Post how much junk you find please! I do this once a month during the season, takes 20 minutes or so and keeps the stove running tip top.

6 seasons.... ha

The scraper rods just clean off the outside of those tubes... where do you think all that ash goes? It lays on top of and behind the baffles.

Also, don't take that center screw out in the back as GotzTheHotz suggested as an alternative. You might end up needing a new gasket if you remove it. There is nothing behind it so it never needs to come off.

You are going to need a dust mask for sure. Also you will need a good dusting brush like a paint brush or something and probably a big screw driver. Some of the stuff packed up there is going to be hard as cement. I would get as much of it off as you can. Just wait till you get it cleaned up, she will run like brand new again.

Please take some pics of what it looks like when you first take the baffles out, we want to see the horror, its going to be baaaaad.

My center screw was stripped after one season, center brick has been there since, no biggy as the side bricks come out just fine. Like JTP said, we want picts! I'd guess you have sh*t in there than I've ever seen! You'll be fired up fine post the cleaning, it will seem like a new stove.

I cleaned the baffle out tonight - I will try to post the pics. The baffle had about 1.5 inches of soot on it, most the way, which I can now understand how the smoke backed up . Not much space for the smoke to go out and therefore I could see why an overheat might occur.

I posted 3 pics - 2 of the baffle and one of the heat exchanger tube area. Sorry the tube shot is not very good. But you will get the idea seeing the baffle.

steve d
NYS castile pellet stove

Attachments

• MVC-746F.JPG
    MVC-746F.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 817
  • MVC-747F.JPG
    MVC-747F.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 824
  • MVC-748F.JPG
    MVC-748F.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 784
PS - the stove seems to be smoke free and running nice - flames are alot more lively now too. I have to reduce the feed rate now, but I am simply going to wait for the pellets to get low tonight and just run the stove on low for now.

steve d
castile pellet NYS

Oh yea - the consistency of the stuff on the baffles was pure dust like. No klinkers or compacted stuff. All I had to do to make it clean was dump it, then a light scraper to take of the corners. I then vacuumed out all the back area after pulling the back baffle plates out too. Did the tube area and sides too. Came out pretty nice.

steve d
castile pellet NYS

This is a six year old stove?

If that is the case then it has performed very well. Just needed a thorough cleaning.

Not a Qaud problem just maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.