Quadra Fire wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CoFraNova

May 22, 2020
Minnesota
Hello All!
I starting burning in my brick fireplace a few years ago, and quickly discovered it's not an efficient way to heat my home. We live in town and have a natural gas furnace, but I've come to really enjoy harvesting firewood, and heating our home with it. I just started the process of looking into some wood inserts, and 2 of the 3 companies I've reached out to in my area are trying to sell me Quadra Fire. Unfortunately I haven't found many good reviews on them.

Would love to hear your two cents and any suggestions you may have.

Thanks!

In general Quadrafire stoves get decent reviews. We don't see too many complaints about their wood stoves. What model are you considering?

The Expedition series is new. No reviews on that yet, but there are a lot of posts here on the Voyageur Grand. The 4100i has been around for a long while with good user reviews here.

Ok, I figured I was just seeing the negative ones. So far looking at 4100i, Expedition 2, & Voyager Grand.
Note that the Voyageur Grand is not currently in the Quadrafire lineup. It has been replaced by the Expedition II. The Voyageur would have to be found used.

Hello, new to the wood burning game. I'm also considering the Quadrafire expedition II, sounds like there's not much in the way of reviews on this new line of insert. I thought that I had read the Quad expedition II is the same insert (excluding aesthetics) as the VC Montpelier II. Is this VC insert in the same "new" category, an not much known about them?
My dealer also sells Pacific Energy, and I'm considering the Alderlea T5 insert or possibly the Neo 2.5 insert. Are there any opinions on PE vs Quadrafire in general? My uneducated first impression is that that PE products seem to be a little better built just from touch and feel. And, it seems that their reburn system may be a little more advanced than the Quad expedition II.
I like the look of the Expedition II compared to the PE products (larger viewing area), and the larger firebox compared to the PE Alderlea (2.1 vs 2.4). But, at the end of the day, I don't want to make such a large purchase on something that will not fire long or put out steady heat. Any opinions on burn times/output between PE and Quad inserts? Is 2.1 vs 2.4 firebox that big of a difference in terms of heat/burn time?
Any opinions are welcome, sorry for the long ramble. I'm really excited to get something installed, but just trying to find something I'll be happy with. I'm located in Central Ohio and looking to reduce my propane bill. I live in a 2000sqft+ old farmhouse that is updated and somewhat efficient considering it's age. I have an efficient electric heat pump and am hoping the insert will be a good supplement and reduce the amount of propane furnace we use in the winters here. THANKS!!

I ordered the Quadrafire expedition 2, because that’s the only thing I could get here. I really wanted a regency insert, but that dealer never got back to me. I’ll try and post here how I like it after I get it!

I purchased an expedition 2 in September and installed it right when I got it. Very solid unit I really liked that it was non catalytic wood insert less maintenance. The ACC air control is really easy to use. I heat my home in Colorado with wood. It works just as good as my free standing wood stove in the other part of my house which is a iron strike 210.The Quadra fire expedition 2 is a great unit!!My sister also has one in her home and it works great for her highly recommended it
E58915C9-F0B2-478B-A4DB-D8D6E935FDF8.jpeg

Hello, new to the wood burning game. I'm also considering the Quadrafire expedition II, sounds like there's not much in the way of reviews on this new line of insert. I thought that I had read the Quad expedition II is the same insert (excluding aesthetics) as the VC Montpelier II. Is this VC insert in the same "new" category, an not much known about them?

Yes, I have the Montpelier II, which is the same thing. It is a single burn rate stove, burn hot, does not last very long. I like it because I use it to "boost" instead of heating my house. It is not good for the main heating device though.

I purchased an expedition 2 in September and installed it right when I got it. Very solid unit I really liked that it was non catalytic wood insert less maintenance. The ACC air control is really easy to use. I heat my home in Colorado with wood. It works just as good as my free standing wood stove in the other part of my house which is a iron strike 210.The Quadra fire expedition 2 is a great unit!!My sister also has one in her home and it works great for her highly recommended it
View attachment 266317
Is the lack of air control not a big issue? This is one of only a handful of inserts in stock locally for me but I'm seeing a lot of people grumbling about the acc

Is the lack of air control not a big issue? This is one of only a handful of inserts in stock locally for me but I'm seeing a lot of people grumbling about the acc
It depends on what you use it for. I have a furnace and set my thermostat to a economical 68F. This morning I came downstairs to a living room that feels a little chilling with a cold stove, so I stacked the woods, striked a match, closed the door, and went out for a little morning jog. 20 minutes later I came back to a stove with blazing fire. No hassle.
I'd admit that it would suck if that's your main heating source and you need to run it 24/7 though.

View attachment 266317

How exactly does the acc work? I've read the manual, but it's not very clear (I don't have the insert yet). Is it just a temporary boost on a timer?

They claim it 'controls the fire for consistent, extended burns'. Does it actually control some kind of damper depending on a temperature it reads somewhere? I'm just curious to know how it works

They claim it 'controls the fire for consistent, extended burns'. Does it actually control some kind of damper depending on a temperature it reads somewhere? I'm just curious to know how it works

No, just a plain mechanical clock. that turn the primary air back to 50% after 20 minutes for you, so you can walk away.

Purchased mine in Jan 2003, Personally I don't like my Quadrafire 4100-i. The rise in room temp is terrible. After speaking with one of the Quadrafire engineers who worked on it we determined to remove the firebrick because stove was UL listed without it. Upon removing brick the rise in exhaust air jumped enough to raise room temp to 85f a huge 10deg increase. I've been thru 3 fans, now I remove fan 2-3 times a winter and oil the sealed bearings and remove red end cap with brass bushing and lube it also. It's been 10yrs since I have replaced fan now. The fan is so loud. I used wire cable u bolts to raise the front cast hearth a 1/4" and saw a drop in decibels from blower. I have a Stanley yellow blower fan with a 6" 90deg elbow set on a log next to stove exhaust air to boost air flow out of the fireplace room. I do not recommend this 4100-i