QUADRAFIRE 3100i or NAPOLEON 1402 Inserts -- PLEASE HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to size of my fireplace I have narrowed my choice to 2 inserts. Want to heat 13x24 UNINSULATED living room in 150 year old stone house. Live in cold climate - Eastern Ontario. Currently have small Arrow i12 with 2 fans. I am replacing it because one fan is gone & second one is about to die. Can't get replacements. WOULD LIKE MORE HEAT IN THE ROOM AND QUICKER HEAT IN THE MORNING.
Napoleon 1402 has two 200 cfm fans -- Quadra only l fan.
Napoleon has 2.25 cu.ft. firebox -- Quadra 2.0 cu.ft.
Quadra has 11-15 hr. burn time -- Napoleon 9 hours
Napoleon $2,600 installed -- Quadra $3,400 installed
The dealer doesn't specialize in Napoleon but will get it for me. He thinks Napoleon "doesn't burn as well"?? He also said a while ago he had one that the air intake (I think that's what he called it) burned out & cost $900 to replace because its welded into stove. One of the main reasons I liked the Napoleon was the 2 fans, but I have seen 3 posts here where the fans broke early. Dealer suggested that maybe the design of the Quadrafire allowed it to heat better with one fan whereas Napoleon needed two.
The moderators here always say "they're all good products"; but which one would be best in my room. I don't want to have to use supplemental heat source because its electric baseboard heaters and too expensive. Have to decide this week. Anyone in an old house have any insight or experience with these. Can one fan do the job. PLEASE HELP.

I wouldn't believe any claim that the Quad stove goes much beyond 9 hours. The 1402 has (in my opinionated opinion) the better combustion technology with the firebox fully lined with fire brick, vs the exposed steel at the top of the sides with the Quad, and the 1402 uses a secondary manifold vs multiple burn tubes which you bang into when loading wood. The 1402 uses two fans and blows air in around the sides and out the top. I'm not sure if that makes much of a difference, other than you may get more air through the stove with the two blowers vs the one. More air means you can pull more heat from the stove when the fire's burning hot.

Both stoves will do a fine job, but my vote goes for the 1402.

I have a Napolean 1402 insert and love it. The $900 repair to the blower was for an old model that had the blowers at the back of the stove, requiring stove removal to replace. The current 1402 model has the blowers at the side, replaceable by unscrewing a couple of screws.

We get 9 hour burns easily out of it, I have no problem getting it lit, and am very pleased with how hot and efficiently it runs. (Caveat is I have excellent draft with an indoor chimney that meets just about every one of the "ideal' installation guidelines).

Please let us know what you end up doing.

We have a 1402 and love it, no problems at all. I'm not sure about the Quadrafire wood stoves, but my parents just bought a Quad pellet stove, and it is made in China (my dad wasn't too happy to see that on the box). Napoleon is North America.

I decided to go for the Napoleon 1402. Really like the idea of 2 fans on an insert and the larger firebox. It comes next week and I can't wait. It's zero degrees F here right now and my Arrow is just not cutting it with one fan half working.

Also, when The Stove Store emailed me contracts for both stoves, they decided to raise their price by over $700.00 on each stove. That left me with a bitter feeling so I contacted my chimney sweep ( who is WETT certified) (thats what we call it here in Canada) and he is getting the Napoleon for me and installing and certifying it for about $200 less than the original quote from The Stove Store.

Now if I can get an energy audit done before its installed I can get a rebate of $750.00 from the government ($375.00 after I pay for the audit). I can also get $2500 if I insulate my basement walls). Do you have these grants in the States.

Status
Not open for further replies.