Quadrafire 5100 rattles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenrun

Nov 23, 2009
Long Island
I have a Quadra fire 5100 wood insert, had it about two years and everything about it rattles: The top and two side face plates, the air push rods rattle and sometimes even the fan rattles, I can stop it temporarily by pressing against the winged out thermostat. When they rattle, its LOUD and high pitched - so loud one cannot hear one speak. I would like to disassemble the unit and start again. Can any one tell me how to put the unit back without rattles? Should I try stuffing something between the fireplace and the top and side panels of the 5100 panels to increase the tension? Is there any type of fasteners I should use to keep the push rods from rattling against the grill? Thanks for any help you can give, Kenrun

Does it only rattle when the blower is on? Or is it when people walk by with a heavy foot? I'm trying to determine the actual cause of the rattling.

When all else fails, read the distructions! I bet it is a simple fix with the manual in hand...good luck!

I have the 5100 for 12 years already other than the fan noise it is silent. When the fan is off you hear nothing.
What is the winged out thermostat ?
By face plates do you mean the surround that closes off the fireplace opening ?
Does this only happen with the fan on ? If so one of the fans may be damaged or unbalanced. If this is the case remove the grill in front and disconnect one fan at a time to see which one it is.

Yes I do mean the surrounds. it only happens when the fan is on, everything rattles, the surrounds, the push rods up against the grill etc. The thermostat is attached to a metal wing out from the base of the quadrafire. Sometimes I hear the fan rattle and if I press down, it goes away, I assume somehow the fan blade sometimes hits another piece of metal inside. But that is a different proble. Do you have anything that goes inbetween the surrounds and the fireplace itself?

Nothing in between the surrounds and the stove, metal to metal. Did you make sure that the screws holding the fans in place did not come loose ? Check the fans, that would drive me nuts.

I tightened the screws as much as possible. But your questions are making me think. The fans are not that powerful, from what I can see, but for the push rods and the surrounds to vibrate, I think are two different problems. First the surrounds. Maybe if I get a couple of buddies and try pushing the insert further into the fireplace has hard and flush as I can get the surround up against the fireplace. Second, I think I need to get in and look at the fan(s) and see if they need to be tightened ro seatet properly or something. Hurricane, appreciate your help. Havve you ever taken your quadra apart? What do you think? Thanks for your interest.

I move my insert by myself enough to remove the surround and inspect behind it. Just grab the top on one side and lift and slide it forward about an inch at a time. Do not try to pick it up just take enough weight off to slide it. That should work to slide it in also.
I would still disconnect one fan at a time, they are connected with spade lugs that you can just unplug to test. You need to have the grill off and bypass the thermostat so you can work on a cold stove. Have you tried running the fans when it is cold by bypassing the thermostat ? That is 110 volts in there so be careful :)

Thanks, no I have not tested the fans. After reading your response, I am still not certain how to do that. Do u know where I can get a set of directions for testing and taking out the grill. fans?
Ken

No instructions that I know of. There are four Philips head screws holding on my grill. The handles on the air controls may need to be removed to get the grill completely off depending on the type of the handle. The fans are just four screws each under the grill, you will likely need to remove the surround also to get the fans out. I think the thermostat is in the center under the grill. To remove the surround you will need to inch the insert out enough to get a long philips head to remove the four screws holding it on. The surround is removed in one piece by just sliding it up and off.
Page 11-12 in the owners manual has a good drawing of it.
http://www.quadrafire.com/downloads/installManuals/man_5100iact.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.