Quadrafire Castile Grinding Noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scolafx

Dec 17, 2022
Massachusetts
Unit is 14 years old . When the auger releases pellets (and in between) there is a sound like something spinning and grinding that happens. On the low setting it’s two times while on the high setting it’s five or six times. Hard to describe so I’ve added a video with the sound.
Local dealer never heard it before but thought it’s the blower fan. I think it’s sawdust stuck somewhere but not sure where. Auger has been checked and cleaned.
Thanks.

Can't really hear anything in the audio. You say auger has been checked and cleaned. Was it pulled to see if there was any pellets above drop chute ? kap

Can't really hear anything in the audio. You say auger has been checked and cleaned. Was it pulled to see if there was any pellets above drop chute ? kap
I pulled the auger and it was very clean. Looked down the tube it rests in and saw pellets but I believe that’s correct? I inserted a bristle brush into the chute starting from inside the fire chamber, up into the drop chute and cleaned out some sawdust but no help there.
If you turn up the volume on my video you can hear the sound.. it’s like something spinning and fringing against rough pellets.
I tried calling Quadrafire like in the past but they no longer answer.

Usually to pull the auger, you need to empty the hopper and suck rest out at bottom of auger, before you pull the auger. If there was any pellets at top, they would come out with auger. You might have some clinker debris in exhaust fan housing. I can't turn up volume on your video. Another option is, is the bottom of the auger touching stove ? Is there anything in convection fan or area ? Could be auger motor is going out too. kap

Usually to pull the auger, you need to empty the hopper and suck rest out at bottom of auger, before you pull the auger. If there was any pellets at top, they would come out with auger. You might have some clinker debris in exhaust fan housing. I can't turn up volume on your video. Another option is, is the bottom of the auger touching stove ? Is there anything in convection fan or area ? Could be auger motor is going out too. kap
Thank you. I’ll try to take the convection fan housing apart next warm spell…

Before you take things apart, can you pinpoint where the noise is coming from ? Only reason i mentioned exhhaust fan is sometimes you can get some clinker in there and the blades catch it now and then. You can't take that off, without having another exhaust fan gasket on hand. My Santa Fe makes a kinda grinding noise when the auger turns to feed pellets. It is the motor. kap

Before you take things apart, can you pinpoint where the noise is coming from ? Only reason i mentioned exhhaust fan is sometimes you can get some clinker in there and the blades catch it now and then. You can't take that off, without having another exhaust fan gasket on hand. My Santa Fe makes a kinda grinding noise when the auger turns to feed pellets. It is the motor. kap
Hard to say where it is coming from. I hear it on the left and the right side. It’s like a snap and spin, and then the pellets trickle down.. All simultaneously.
I may try using up a bin of pellets and the remove the whole back panel and clean it thoroughly like I did a few years ago. First I will remove the auger and turn on the unit to watch the auger turning I think. To be sure it’s not the auger motor. Might be the same sound as yours.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am guessing some pellets up past drop chute, grinding at top of auger. Or aging motor. Remember you'll have to jump the vac switch with auger removed. kap

There is "clean", and then there is "clean". There are many threads here about pellets not "sliding" down the hopper. Well, many times it is from not being "clean". What happens with heat and wood pellets? Lignin seeps out. It's sticky. Guess what, it does not only happen in the hopper, it happens in the auger tube and drop tube. Clean them also, especially on older units. If pellets can stop from sliding downhill, they also can be restricted while being pushed uphill. If you rub your finger on one of these surfaces, and it "grabs" your skin, instead of just sliding, needs cleaned. Usually just a bit of soap and water, but sometimes chemicals are needed. All part of a full service on a pellet stove. Just more thoughts from the peanut gallery, have a great day!

Reactions: kappel15