Quadrafire Castille insert issue need some help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ntvnyr

Feb 13, 2017
Fairfield County CT
Hello, I am new to this forum. I have 2 quadrafire inserts in my house. We have had a Quadrafire insert in our upstairs for 15 trouble free years. I have learned to clean, maintain and usually repair the unit myself but I am having a new problem that is giving me difficulty.
My stove was giving us problems restarting. We use it as an addition to our oil furnace and usually run it all day on weekends and in the evenings on weekdays. In the past when using it a couple of hours each day it would start up just by moving the thermostat to the desired temp and would work fine for a week or so without opening the door and clearing the bottom of the fire pot. The residue in the pot was ashy and grainy.. Now the residue is like chunks of lava rock and it prevents the pellets that drop from lighting and fills the pot and overflows into the chute.resulting in no ignition. I worry that if it does light the full pot will send fire up the chute.
i have recently done a seasonal type cleaning but to no avail.
As long as we clear the pot every time we use the stove it works fine. Any ideas???
Thanks for the look,
Nick S.

Maybe a bad batch of pellets? Sounds like you will have to clean the pot more often, to make sure if fires when it needs to. I burn a mix of pellets and corn. This is usually where you can get clinkers from, not usually just pellets. Sorry I can't be of more help. kap

Have you changed to a different brand of pellets this year? Is so are the hardwood? Hardwood, in my Quad seems to leave more clickers than softwood.

Reactions: kappel15