Quadrafire Mt Vernon AE sounds like a jet plane - loudest on cleaning cycle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
This Quadrafire Mt Vernon AE Insert is about 10 years old and developed a very loud high pitched whine noise like a jet engine which is most apparent during the cleaning cycle but is also there as soon as the pellet stove is turned on. The Convection Blower was replaced a couple of years ago but all other parts are original.
The sound seemed to be coming from the right side where the blower exhaust blower is located.
So I pulled the blower and attempted to install the new Huayi blower and found the original Housing has 3 bolts that are closer together so there is no way the new exhaust blower will fit in there!
So I said get the silly cone and we will yank the housing and remove and reseal the exhaust flange! After doing that we cleaned and tested the stove and it was quiet as a mouse!
Has anyone else seen this issue?

Pic 1 - Original Exhaust Blower
Pic 2 - original exhaust blower housing with unusual bolt spacing.
Pic 3-4 - new exhaust blower
Pic 5 - new blower installed

Attachments

• E6FADFD0-9261-48FA-8A32-E21BB9DDD068.jpeg
    E6FADFD0-9261-48FA-8A32-E21BB9DDD068.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 313
  • 31384B68-5D16-462A-AA4E-6F9675625903.jpeg
    31384B68-5D16-462A-AA4E-6F9675625903.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 340
  • 276848E6-B4E8-413B-A403-13F16C975D86.jpeg
    276848E6-B4E8-413B-A403-13F16C975D86.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 288
  • E6B77A60-544B-4856-952D-22828529F347.jpeg
    E6B77A60-544B-4856-952D-22828529F347.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 286
  • 9B95B02F-B4D1-4CA5-9B05-B77127AABF8E.jpeg
    9B95B02F-B4D1-4CA5-9B05-B77127AABF8E.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 294
I just changed the blower on my AE, which is a 2006. You have to remove the fan blades(metric allen), then you can remove the 3 bolts on plactic mounting bracket for motor. Spin motor so 3 holes are on top, along with the wire harness. Then bolt all back together. The slotted holes are for newer stoves, and the holes are for the older models. I didn't like it either, but tearing it apart saved having to mess with the housing. MIne was starting to vibrate. kap

I just changed the blower on my AE, which is a 2006. You have to remove the fan blades(metric allen), then you can remove the 3 bolts on plactic mounting bracket for motor. Spin motor so 3 holes are on top, along with the wire harness. Then bolt all back together. The slotted holes are for newer stoves, and the holes are for the older models. I didn't like it either, but tearing it apart saved having to mess with the housing. MIne was starting to vibrate. kap
That is another way to replace it.
Now that I have the new housing in, it will be much easier to replace again in the future.

Just had the tech from stove shop here to replace the blower. He could not do it because three of the posts were lose and when he went to put the blower on they would just push in. He was using the small holes on inside of the blower mount. Now looking at replacing blower housing. Don222, was this hard to do? The stove tech said he has not done it. He said they would need to take the stove off the exhaust pipe, spin the stove around, and then take off the housing which is siliconed. He thought it would take a whole day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don222, was this hard to do?

LOL - Piece of Cake!

I did it while my helper cleaned the stove and we were all done in about 2.5 hours. :)

Just tell him to make sure he has the High Temp Silicone and wire brush the old stuff clean!
I use the clear silicone so it looks good. :)

Last edited:
LOL - Piece of Cake!

I did it while my helper cleaned the stove and we were all done in about 2.5 hours. :)

Just tell him to make sure he has the High Temp Silicone and wire brush the old stuff clean!
I use the clear silicone so it looks good. :)

Much appreciated. Did you have to spin the stove around?

Just had the tech from stove shop here to replace the blower. He could not do it because three of the posts were lose and when he went to put the blower on they would just push in. He was using the small holes on inside of the blower mount. Now looking at replacing blower housing. Don222, was this hard to do? The stove tech said he has not done it. He said they would need to take the stove off the exhaust pipe, spin the stove around, and then take off the housing which is siliconed. He thought it would take a whole day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Doesn’t sound like that “tech” has a clue what he’s doing. It’s a 30 minute job at worst, even if he moves the stove. Call a professional and don’t give that guy any of your money.

Reactions: LMPS
Hello
This Quadrafire Mt Vernon AE Insert is about 10 years old and developed a very loud high pitched whine noise like a jet engine which is most apparent during the cleaning cycle but is also there as soon as the pellet stove is turned on. The Convection Blower was replaced a couple of years ago but all other parts are original.
The sound seemed to be coming from the right side where the blower exhaust blower is located.
So I pulled the blower and attempted to install the new Huayi blower and found the original Housing has 3 bolts that are closer together so there is no way the new exhaust blower will fit in there!
So I said get the silly cone and we will yank the housing and remove and reseal the exhaust flange! After doing that we cleaned and tested the stove and it was quiet as a mouse!
Has anyone else seen this issue?

Pic 1 - Original Exhaust Blower
Pic 2 - original exhaust blower housing with unusual bolt spacing.
Pic 3-4 - new exhaust blower
Pic 5 - new blower installed
Look closely at your new exhaust motor and housing. If you had unscrewed those little nuts that encircle the motor, you wouldn’t have had to replace the housing. Those holes line up perfectly.

Reactions: LMPS
Much appreciated. Did you have to spin the stove around?

No not really, just twisted it a bit. It is a big stove and easy to work on.

Look closely at your new exhaust motor and housing. If you had unscrewed those little nuts that encircle the motor, you wouldn’t have had to replace the housing. Those holes line up perfectly.
Yes, but this looks better and next time changing the blower will be real easy. :)