Quadrafire Mt Vernon E2 Drama and Broken Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danni1085

Feb 3, 2015
pa
Hi Everyone Im new here and I was hoping to get some feedback and help. We purchased a Quad. Mt Vernon E2 last novemeber last yr. It worked great. less than 2 months after we had it, I woke up one morning to broken glass shattered and flames coming through what was left. Paniced and mad about the danger my 2 year old could have been had this of happened while we were down stairs I called my dealer who said they had never heard of such a thing. They replaced the glass with the showroom floor model because the replacement would take a few weeks and we had just hit a cold week of about a high of 4 degrees. Ever since then we have had dramas with it. The pellets look like they are getting stuck while comeing down and look like a big clump and rather than fall a few at a time and gracefully they get dumped over flowing the burn pot. The stove will shut off 2-4 times a day with error codes that make no sense ( empty hopper dirty appliance , the hopper is full and the unit was cleaned twice already in 1 day) the tech guy came and cleaned and fixed what he thought was the problem ( the therm probe fell and was to close to the blower ) but not 3 weeks later I am going through the same issues and as I type I have come home from work 3 hours ago clean the unit and it is blocked with a clump of pellets about to shut down. does anyone have any idea what is going on or how I can fix it?? Please ?

Time to call the dealer, and either he fixes it, or replaces it. that simple. You shouldn't be going thru this much hassle with a brand new stove. And, you are the second person to post on this forum about their glass blowing out. I would be asking why.. As far as the "clumping" of pellets, might be time to take a mirror and a flashlight and look up the drop chute to see if there is anything up there blocking the opening, or if pellets have gotten past the drop chute and on the other side near the auger motor. Also, if you are not cleaning your pellets, some fines might be finding their way down the drop chute and partially blocking it when they burn in place. Easy to see if it is happening. Stay in touch.kap

Use the search feature and punch in Hobokenkitchen. Was almost the same issue not that long ago and was discussed at length.:(
Welcome

First off, I have no experience with these stoves, but does anyone else think this and perhaps the other bunch of threads/post about exploding or glass breaking QuadFire stoves is suspect?? I belong to other forums and I've seen this type of thing before. I hate to be the first one to say it, but surely someone else thought this?

So either a coincidence, or a bad run from the factory, and someone really needs to get to the bottom of it.

Reactions: Johnny_Fiv3
Thank you reading all those post now.
Very irritating having to clean the stove out every day when I come home from work and waiting for the heat to get back to a comfortable temperature, only to know I will wake up at 530am to have to do the same thing all over again... even more irritating feeling like I wasting $5000 on something that went bad in less that 2 months

What pellets are being burned in this stove?

we are using the pellets we buy from our local stove supplier store, as they recommended. they have so far supplied us with barefoot and energex. the tech guy did say that maybe some pellets are blocking the drop, but after he inspected he noted this could not be the case.when they do get stuck and clumped, they will either stay there and shut off or fall in one big drop over flowing the burn pot sometimes

Just a thought since this recently happened to another person - have your dealer contact Quadrafire about the issue (and explain about the previously broken glass they replaced). I am sure they would be want to investigate the issue to see if there are common factors between Hobokenkitchens's problem and your problem.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/soooooo-the-quadrafire-mt-vernon-e2-just-exploded.139686/

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/exploded-e2-need-some-advice-on-replacement.140191/

I will be speaking to the installers about 8:00 am eastern time when they arrive to install my E 2 unit, they and myself will be calling Quadrafire when the doors open at there facility ,will fill you folks in with any answers if I am lucky to get any

Jeff

I will be speaking to the installers about 8:00 am eastern time when they arrive to install my E 2 unit, they and myself will be calling Quadrafire when the doors open at there facility ,will fill you folks in with any answers if I am lucky to get any

Jeff
I think I'd be looking closer at that Harman you said the dealer had no problem changing you into !

Reactions: Big papa and rona

Jeff

Not sure if you will get more of an answer than "user error". It is getting harder to believe that...

Who's doing the install?

Hi Everyone Im new here and I was hoping to get some feedback and help. We purchased a Quad. Mt Vernon E2 last novemeber last yr. It worked great. less than 2 months after we had it, I woke up one morning to broken glass shattered and flames coming through what was left. Paniced and mad about the danger my 2 year old could have been had this of happened while we were down stairs I called my dealer who said they had never heard of such a thing. They replaced the glass with the showroom floor model because the replacement would take a few weeks and we had just hit a cold week of about a high of 4 degrees. Ever since then we have had dramas with it. The pellets look like they are getting stuck while comeing down and look like a big clump and rather than fall a few at a time and gracefully they get dumped over flowing the burn pot. The stove will shut off 2-4 times a day with error codes that make no sense ( empty hopper dirty appliance , the hopper is full and the unit was cleaned twice already in 1 day) the tech guy came and cleaned and fixed what he thought was the problem ( the therm probe fell and was to close to the blower ) but not 3 weeks later I am going through the same issues and as I type I have come home from work 3 hours ago clean the unit and it is blocked with a clump of pellets about to shut down. does anyone have any idea what is going on or how I can fix it?? Please ?

Could you post pictures.

The glass was replaced but could there be a problem of the door being made wrong to the point the glass is under pressure when tightened down and when it get hot it breaks. If it is made wrong maybe it takes a certain number of cycles before it leaks air and causes problems

Back when the Harman PC45 first came out they had problems with the glass cracking when the stove warmed up. The dealer had half a dozen new glasses for the 45 when I got to know him. I never seen or heard of any problems since I got mine but evidently they did have a issue for a while.

The glass was replaced but could there be a problem of the door being made wrong to the point the glass is under pressure when tightened down and when it get hot it breaks. If it is made wrong maybe it takes a certain number of cycles before it leaks air and causes problems

Back when the Harman PC45 first came out they had problems with the glass cracking when the stove warmed up. The dealer had half a dozen new glasses for the 45 when I got to know him. I never seen or heard of any problems since I got mine but evidently they did have a issue for a while.
On the first issue with the E2 they said the glass exploded into the room hitting the husband some distance from the stove.not just a shattering issue on that one as I understood it?

Here is what I would do: on top of you conversation with your installer. Call quad HQ and ask to speak with a manager. Tell them what happened and ask them to talk to your installers. They need to know that their stoves are exploding/cracking around here. let them technically evaluate your install and your installer. ask them if its safe to operate the stove. I am sorry to say, from my personal experience - that not all professional installers know what their doing. The stove manufacturer needs and can get involved. They sent someone to me from 100 miles away to resolve my install issues (and we are not done yet!)

If I were you - I would ask for a brand new stove, and then some.... Maybe go for a Harman instead (HHT owns both brands...).

Take pictures, document, etc.

Reactions: Big papa
we are using the pellets we buy from our local stove supplier store, as they recommended. they have so far supplied us with barefoot and energex. the tech guy did say that maybe some pellets are blocking the drop, but after he inspected he noted this could not be the case.when they do get stuck and clumped, they will either stay there and shut off or fall in one big drop over flowing the burn pot sometimes
I have a Quad Mt Vernon AE and I have observed the following; if the pellets are abnormally long, they get stuck in the drop chute and more pellets back up behind them. This has happened to me twice in the past three years. When I unclog the jam, with a stiff wire, enough pellets fall to overfill the fire pot.
What seems a likely scenario, is that you are getting a blockage such as I have described and when it finally drops, it smothers the fire. A smothered fire produces lots of combustible gases that can result in a detonation. This is just theory and I might be wrong, but I think it is likely.
Abnormally long pellets are a problem for many stoves. Pellets should be less than an inch in length, and I have seen some in excess of two inches. The problem seems to be more prevalent in certain brands of pellets.
It is hard to say in this situation whether the stove is at fault of if the pellets are at fault.

I think I'd be looking closer at that Harman you said the dealer had no problem changing you into !
And I'D be looking at a Hitzer coal stoker that the dealer ALSO sells. The guy's in PA!

Reactions: alternativeheat
And this happens 2-4 times in a 24 hour period
Assuming the auger and drop chute are the same as in my MVAE I am baffled as to how you can be getting a blockage in the chute with one inch pellets. The chute is considerably larger than that, and the only restriction I see is a small baffle on the upper side that keeps pellets from bouncing around as they reach the end of the chute. You may want to take a mirror and flashlight, and inspect the inside of the chute for anything that the pellets might hang up on.

Nevertheless, if a blockage occurs and smothers the fire when it drops, the possibility still exists of a detonation of combustible gaseous byproducts.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Assuming the auger and drop chute are the same as in my MVAE I am baffled as to how you can be getting a blockage in the chute with one inch pellets. The chute is considerably larger than that, and the only restriction I see is a small baffle on the upper side that keeps pellets from bouncing around as they reach the end of the chute. You may want to take a mirror and flashlight, and inspect the inside of the chute for anything that the pellets might hang up on.

Nevertheless, if a blockage occurs and smothers the fire when it drops, the possibility still exists of a detonation of combustible gaseous byproducts.
It's irritating how some pellet makers don't stick to the 1" standard. Even Okanagan DF has some long ones mixed in, and the P61 crunches them with a bang. I have TSC pellets right now I'm mixing in and some of those are even longer.

I do believe they are the same. The staff at the store and the tech that came out said there is really no way for teh pellets to get jammed and clogged because of the design.

I do believe they are the same. The staff at the store and the tech that came out said there is really no way for teh pellets to get jammed and clogged because of the design.
And yet they are! So something is not as it should be. Either the auger motor has some way of going to warp speed and delivering all those pellets at once, or there is something wrong with the drop chute, or there are some stray, evil, overly long pellets hiding among the ordinary, well behaved pellets.
Please forgive my quirky sense of humor. If it quacks like a duck......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.