Quadrafire Pioneer 2 mantel question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 22, 2021
Michigan
Hi,
I had the pioneer 2 installed in a new construction home. I’m in the process of getting the hearth ready to tile. The hearth is 6” below the bottom edge of hearth. I’ve got 1/2” osb, 30 gauge metal and 1/2” gray fireproof material that installer left to put down. In order to get to the recommended R 2.06 value I need to add more. (Which I don’t understand why) my question is can I use Homasote 440 with R value of 1.3 fire rating 3 or C?

Thanks

Reactions: Rachy
Hi,
I had the pioneer 2 installed in a new construction home. I’m in the process of getting the hearth ready to tile. The hearth is 6” below the bottom edge of hearth. I’ve got 1/2” osb, 30 gauge metal and 1/2” gray fireproof material that installer left to put down. In order to get to the recommended R 2.06 value I need to add more. (Which I don’t understand why) my question is can I use Homasote 440 with R value of 1.3 fire rating 3 or C?

Thanks
No homasote is flammable