Quadrafire voyageur Insert questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacoma-wa

Nov 18, 2015
Wa
Hi all. I have a purchased a quadrafire voyageur insert. It is going to be installed in my 1922 bungalow's traditional open brick hearth. My question is: Should I have outside air installed? Will it result in too much air to the fire or interfere in any way with it being damped down via the damper on the front of the insert? Chimney will be lined from insert to chimney cap. And advice about standard quadrafire cap vs. other, noting that I am in the puget sound area of wa where it seldom snows but rains most of the winter. Does lack of outside air cause drafts into the room with the FP? Generally interested to hear any advice and/or opinions about the stove, understanding that it is already purchased so please only constructive advice.Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:
Outside air is optional. In the case of an old place it probably breathes enough that outside air is not needed.

Reactions: Tacoma-wa
Thanks. I found a string of posts from 2011 and 2013 that answered my questions. Thanks for the great resource.

Thanks. I found a string of posts from 2011 and 2013 that answered my questions. Thanks for the great resource.
What was the string of post? What did you decide to do? I have the same stove and did not run outside air. I believe it improves the efficiency since outside arr is coming directly to the firebox and not leaks in the house..

What was the string of post? What did you decide to do? I have the same stove and did not run outside air. I believe it improves the efficiency since outside arr is coming directly to the firebox and not leaks in the house..

I have come to "learn" that outside air is optimal for overall efficiency of your house as a system, for the reasons you noted. My dealer kindly allowed us to change out order and we went with gas (QF130 FB) Definitely not the same as woodstove with regard to the beauty of the fire :( but convenient.

Hi all. I have a purchased a quadrafire voyageur insert. It is going to be installed in my 1922 bungalow's traditional open brick hearth. My question is: Should I have outside air installed? Will it result in too much air to the fire or interfere in any way with it being damped down via the damper on the front of the insert? Chimney will be lined from insert to chimney cap. And advice about standard quadrafire cap vs. other, noting that I am in the puget sound area of wa where it seldom snows but rains most of the winter. Does lack of outside air cause drafts into the room with the FP? Generally interested to hear any advice and/or opinions about the stove, understanding that it is already purchased so please only constructive advice.Thanks for your comments.

I'm new here as well figured I'd join up now that I as well have purchased a quad grand voyager. I'm slowly learning the stove but there has been a bit of a love hate type of thing going on since I installed it a few weeks back. It is a self install and I'll be the first to admit there is still room for improvement to get this right from where I am. My situation was led here by bad retail support from who I bought this from. That said I have a long history with wood stoves and inserts. I've had jotul, regency, and a few other of which I am not even sure what they were. I have a older home made of adobe and it definitely drafts. I do not have the outside air installed and do not foresee myself ever needing that however I am having a few issues which may lead me in that way however at this point I believe my issues can be fixed elsewhere in my installation. If you have a older home that's not sealed right I would imagine you will not need it either. The stove puts off good heat but it can definitely take a bit of getting used to. In my experience the lack of air control to the back of the firebox is a major disadvantage of this stove. The manual says that there is a rear firebox control however I have learned recently there is no rear control. I find lots of unburnt wood/charcol in the rear of the box currently however I made a new adjustment to my flue today so I'm curious to see how it effects that. All in all it is a decent stove I just need to work some quirks out I think. That said good luck with your purchase and I hope it is exactly what you need

Status
Not open for further replies.