Quadrifire 3100 ACT - Fire Brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HighHeat22

Sep 29, 2011
southern michigan
Have a under performing Quad 3100 ACT. This is my 1st season with this stove and it has under performed and i have tried everything. Everything has been discussed in a prior thread and its still not performing well at all. Only getting 5.5 to 6hr burn times on a load and the stove doesnt maintain its higher temp for long. Have 2 friends that run quads and they are outstanding performers. I came across a thread from 2012 that talks about quadrifires using there own specific fire brick. I did install new fire brick made by vogelzang that was the same size 9x4.5x1.25 that the manual calls for. Does anyone know if quadrifires use a special fire brick in them or should I be using a denser or harder fire brick.

Have a under performing Quad 3100 ACT. This is my 1st season with this stove and it has under performed and i have tried everything. Everything has been discussed in a prior thread and its still not performing well at all. Only getting 5.5 to 6hr burn times on a load and the stove doesnt maintain its higher temp for long. Have 2 friends that run quads and they are outstanding performers. I came across a thread from 2012 that talks about quadrifires using there own specific fire brick. I did install new fire brick made by vogelzang that was the same size 9x4.5x1.25 that the manual calls for. Does anyone know if quadrifires use a special fire brick in them or should I be using a denser or harder fire brick.
Is the ACC operating correctly? Seems to me that contraption could get stuck open and feed too much air into the base of the fire making your wood burn too quickly.

Have you tried to operate the stove without the ACC to see how it performs?

Quadrafires use pumice firebrick instead of regular firebrick.
It worth checking to make sure the ACC is not sticking open.

How tall is the flue system on this stove?

This is a quad Act model not an Acc model. this Act only has 2 manual air controls. The Acc model is much different . Im not familier with the Acc model but I believe its on an automatic secondary burn control. Correct me if im wrong.

Please educate me on the pumice fire brick. Im not familier with it.

This is a quad Act model not an Acc model. this Act only has 2 manual air controls. The Acc model is much different . Im not familier with the Acc model but I believe its on an automatic secondary burn control. Correct me if im wrong.
Please educate me on pumice firebrick vs ceramic firebrick.

Please educate me on the pumice fire brick. Im not familier with it.
There are two types of firebrick, heavy clay bricks, and pumice firebricks which are made from volcanic pumice. The pumice firebricks have a much greater insulating value than the clay bricks. This helps keep the firebox come up to temperature quicker and keeps the fire hotter. They also may help reduce clearances. Pumice firebrick is more expensive than mass-manufactured clay brick.

Ok apologies.
The ACC is just a timer on the primary burn controls that close off air over time.