Tags:
  1. quakerman

quakerman
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 31, 2015
    Loc:
    NH
    I'm a newbie; I bought a house in 97, came with stove; house built about 1976; stove, handle, and vent knobs worked fine up until a year ago or so; somehow the handle came off, and some parts must have disappeared, because it does not work as is anymore; looking for someone with same stove/handle that can inform me what is missing in terms of nuts, washers, etc; or where I can purchase a new one that is complete.

Peter

Attached Files:

2. Quakerfan

Quakerfan
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2017
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Recenty purchased, 1st test burn with baffle plate installed. Good thing I did this outdoors because the stovebox paint began to smoke for an hour, which has me concerned if improper paint was used.
    Will try for a 2nd test burn tomorrow, if it smokes again, I'll be considering sandblasting to bare metal, then StoveBright paint.
    20180821_103917.jpg 20180821_104042.jpg 20180821_102954.jpg
    Is this smoke typical for curing StoveBright or Thurmalox paints?

3. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Leroy
    any of the high temp paints are going to have an off gassing until fully cured.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Quakerfan, did firebrick get installed on the sides and back with the baffle plate?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Quakerfan

Quakerfan
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2017
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    2nd burn yielded similar results, stovebox paint peeling and flaking.
    There was less visible smoke from paint, but now its burning and falling off, still off gasing noticeably smell. No firebrick was used, bare box test fire for 1-2 hours.

The cast iron facade & door show no signs of paint burn, yet it appears same paint was applied. Decision has been made to sandblast clean, apply new paint.

6. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Install the side and back firebricks. The sides might be getting too hot or maybe the surface prep for painting wasn't good. Or like you mention the wrong paint may have been used. Or the stove could have had stove polish on it before it was painted. That has to be removed or the new paint won't bond well to it.

7. Quakerfan

Quakerfan
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2017
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thank you. I think all your insights are correct. This stove is for a friend's hunting lodge, so I want it done right.