Question about air control on an old Blaze King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thaynej

Nov 5, 2022
Rexburg, Idaho
Hey there! I recently moved into a home with an old Blaze King (the house was built in 1984, and the stove was built in with the house). My fires are dying completely shortly after I light them, no matter how thoroughly I put my boy scout skills to use.

I've opened up the air control, and it looks like the thermostat is barely opening. I've attached a picture. The picture is as far open as it gets. It looks like it is being stopped by the hex screw that you can see on the side, which goes all the way through and blocks it from opening further. The hex screw looks newer than the rest of the stove, but it is hard to tell. When I adjust the thermostat, there's only two positions, closed completely, or slightly open as pictured.

My question: is this normal? Or is this the reason my fires are dying? (Lack of air flow.) If this is normal, what else could be the issue?

If this isn't the right forum, let me know!

IMG_0960.jpg

Looks like it needs a serious cleaning to start with. @BKVP would know about the air control.

Has the flue system been inspected and cleaned? If it has not been used for a while there may be a nest plugging it.

Reactions: Hoytman
Let's start first by identifying which model you have.....post pictures.

Here's a picture of fireplace. All identifying information has been rubbed off. I believe it was installed in 1984.

IMG_0961.jpg

And thank you for your willingness to help!

Reactions: Nealm66
KEJ1000 or KEJ1100. Is the combustor round or oval shaped?

That creosote is normal if the stove has been running low. The cat should clean it (the exhaust gases) up before it goes in the flue.

One fire burning high will also take care of it.

I find the cat a bit dark though, so I wonder if it still works well. (I have no ceramic cat tho.)

Last edited:
KEJ1101. Cat goes in stove, not flue. Any idea how old cat is? Stove was made early 1980's.

KEJ1101. Cat goes in stove, not flue. Any idea how old cat is? Stove was made early 1980's.
Of course. "it" refers to the gases. I added that in parentheses to my post.

Awesome. I'll look into that. Thanks a ton!

To the original question: Is the air control supposed to open more than this? It open opens this far, appears to be stopped by the hex screw you can see on the side.

View attachment 302219
That is correct. The screw is an upper limit used to protect the combustor from excessive temps. Clean up thermostat area with vac, turn knob until blade is horizontal. Reinstall the cap. Nothing is wrong there. Your combustor could be dead...