Question about Defiant 1910 stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2016
Addison mi
Hello,
I have a defiant 1910 that I bought new in about 2000. It has worked well for me. About 2 weeks ago I noticed that the stove had been overheated meaning it needs a bottom grate, refractory unit..etc and a few misc parts. The parts run about 900 on the web. I am not sure about the difficulty in installing the refractory unit and of course the extra parts that would be needed that I am not accounting for. I do not have a lot of extra time . I am considering replacing the stove with a new Defiant Flexburn with a fan attachment.
Any suggestions?
Thank you

The 1910 is a good stove! What does it need, like refractory, catalytic, damper housing, and grate? 900 bucks sounds high. Must be something else?

Hello
Thank you for the reply. The parts range from about $600 to $900....the parts seem extremely easy to replace except for the refractory box.....I have taken the stove apart up to that point every year to clean it. Does anyone know the easiest way to remove that?

Last edited by a moderator:
The bricks and lower fireback come out easily, then you have to unbolt and remove the upper fireback and damper assy. 4 bolts hold the thing in there, and of course the damper handle has to be removeed to allow the damper rod to pass into the firebox. It's a real pain, and requires some creative twisting while pulling down and out . Getting it back IN s even worse. With the top of the stove off though it's way easier.

Then you can just remove the refractoryand put in a new one! That part's child's play.

Thank you
I worked on it earlier and got it apart. While im ordering parts.....is there anything else i should be replacing thats not associated with this project. Do you have a certain parts supplier you use?

One more question....can i add a fan to the 1910?

Well, if that upper fireback isn't straight as a string, replace it now. Not that expensive and saves trouble later with damper "mis-behavior". Look at the catalyst of course, but also the secondary air probe. Very important and often overlooked. If it's deteriorated much, just get a new one. Although, the probe is easily replaced without removing all this other stuff, so it could wait I suppose.

Try woodmanspartsplus.com for parts, they're quite good as a rule.

Don't think they ever made a blower for Defiants.

Best of luck!!!

Check all the gaskets!!

Status
Not open for further replies.