Question about fire retardant insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Agiancarli

Feb 8, 2018
New Jersey
Hi Everyone,

Just install a recently purchased Jotul F3CB. Unit sits on the hearth in front of the fireplace. Installed a heavy duty 6” Stainless liner. As with most installation of this type I had to cut away the original damper and damper frame to allow the liner and requisite elbow to fit through the throat of the fireplace. The damper frame is 36” long so I have about 15” of frame on either side of the installed liner. I’m assuming that I should stuff fire retardant insulation on either side of the liner to pervent heat loss up the chimney. It this correct?

Also, where can I purchase this type of insulation? I only need a small quality.

Thank you for your help.

Anthony

Hi Anthony - I'm going through the same install now and going through the forum to gather as much info as possible. What I gathered so far is that you want to make a sealing block off plate and then you can use Rockwool insulation on top. A lot of good info on this forum. You have a few links here
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/?noRedirect=1 to help you with your install. Good luck and post pics

thanks,
Bo

It should be stuffed with kaowool or mineral wool insulation like Roxul above the damper area. Then a block-off plate installed to seal the damper area off and contain any dust from the insulation.

- Bo,Thank you for the wealth of information. Much appreciated.

- Begreen. Thanks for your response. You replied to a previous post where I asked about the Jotul F3CB. I decided to buy a 2010 model and installed it yesterday. Minus blocking up the fireplace damper. Gave it a whirl and started it up. Drafts like a pro. Ran it all last night and heated our 1250 SF ranch very nicely. Temp was about 40 last night. We are very happy with the stove.

Anthony
New Jersey

The F3CB is a great little stove. With insulation and a block off plate the warmth kept in the room will improve. Kaowool (ceramic insulation) is easy to get online. Roxul is sold at big box hardware stores.