Question about insert installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brimart

Feb 12, 2021
Brookings
I just pulled out a slammed in (I think that's the right terminology) insert in our old masonry fireplace. The home was built in 1955 I believe. My father in law has owned it since sometime in the 1970's. He says he installed the insert around 25 years ago. It was in pretty poor condition, very warped, and missing most of the firebrick inside, so we yanked it.

A friend gave us a much newer certified stove and we want to install it proper. I'm thinking I will order a kit from Rockford to run a new liner down the chimney. After pulling the old insert, I noticed the damper was mangled and corroded. Without much effort it ripped out. The smoke shelf has quite a bit of ash built up, which leads me to my question:

How thorough a clean should I give this chimney if I'm not really going to be using it? I plan on installing a block off plate, so the masonry chimney will essentially just be a conduit for the new insulated liner. Please correct me if I'm mistaken here.

I live in a fairly small town and just moved here in July 2020, so I haven't found out who does chimney inspections yet. I plan on making some phone calls Monday, but figured I would see if I could get any advice here while I wait out the weekend. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Brian

I just pulled out a slammed in (I think that's the right terminology) insert in our old masonry fireplace. The home was built in 1955 I believe. My father in law has owned it since sometime in the 1970's. He says he installed the insert around 25 years ago. It was in pretty poor condition, very warped, and missing most of the firebrick inside, so we yanked it.

A friend gave us a much newer certified stove and we want to install it proper. I'm thinking I will order a kit from Rockford to run a new liner down the chimney. After pulling the old insert, I noticed the damper was mangled and corroded. Without much effort it ripped out. The smoke shelf has quite a bit of ash built up, which leads me to my question:

How thorough a clean should I give this chimney if I'm not really going to be using it? I plan on installing a block off plate, so the masonry chimney will essentially just be a conduit for the new insulated liner. Please correct me if I'm mistaken here.

I live in a fairly small town and just moved here in July 2020, so I haven't found out who does chimney inspections yet. I plan on making some phone calls Monday, but figured I would see if I could get any advice here while I wait out the weekend. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Brian
It needs cleaned very well.

If the chimney's full of creosote, it can light off and be a real fire hazard whether or not there's a liner in the middle.

(Even if it doesn't do that, it will probably stink a lot. Slammer installs are creosote factories.)