Question about Moisture readings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dunedinite

Jan 5, 2022
New Zealand
So I've have alot 4x4 pine blocks sitting outside , not covered but stacked on pallets as it's ment to be summer where I live now.

They've been cut and stacked for about 3 months no top cover but we have had rain on and off . I've recently made a shed with open sides and put them in there .

So about a week later I split a few open and they read 30% on the split face . I went back 2 or 3 hours later and they all read 20% .

So my question is as I'm abit confused is did the pine act as a sponge from the rain and ramp the Moisture reading up ? Or is it normal for wood to immediately dry that fast ?

The outside edge will dry fast when exposed to air.
That's why you always check m/c on a fresh split

^^That.

Also, if they are square blocks stacked (flat surface on flat surface), it won't dry very well as compared to split rounds