Question about MY 30NCP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanb999

Aug 26, 2008
NEPA
Question about MY 30NCL.

I've had this stove for three years and love it to a point.......
I had the 13NCP in a different location and with a 20' Chimney it would scream. I loved it, easy really clean burns.
I've found that I don't get enough draft. For instance their is no draft control past 25% or so open. (it's all the same)

My setup is a ss chimney at about 19' total including the stove. I also have the outside air hooked up. The directions said 15 feet was the min. So this should work right?

Here is the question should I get another 3' of chimney? If I do I have to put some stays. So it would be a pain. Do you all think this will make a big difference? Or is this stove not that adjustable like the 13NCP was?

Stan you might have a super airtight house...did you ever try cracking a window to improve draft? Also did this happen last winter when it was real cold outside or has it just happened lately with the milder weather?

savageactor7 said:
Stan you might have a super airtight house...did you ever try cracking a window to improve draft? Also did this happen last winter when it was real cold outside or has it just happened lately with the milder weather?

I wish the house was tight..... It's a 160 year old farm house, Can you say drafty??? Besides it has the outside air hook up, hooked up to the outside.

Yes, we have had the same issue all year round.

I vote for the extra 3' of chimney. Good draft is important to having a pleasurable experience with your stove. That 15' figure is MINIMUM. Go higher and get better draft. As for the roof supports just do it and get it done before winter sets in.

That should be drafting fine at 19', did you check for any other possible problems? Is it in a valley of the roof line where a cross draft could be effecting the chimney draft?

Can you describe the flue system from stove to cap? Are there any elbows involved or horizontal runs? Exterior or interior chimney?

Stan another thing before adding more chimney is to just disconnect the OAK and see how she drafts...maybe some varmints/bees plugged it up.

The chimney is a strait run... About 5-6' of stove pipe. Then 12' of double insulated. It's inside the house.

I checked the outside air....It's clear.

The wood is dry, It's not that it doesn't burn just not real well.

The problem is more that it doesn't adjust for a higher flame.

Could it be that the chimney is plugged up ? Or the air intake on the stove ? Or that something is up between the baffle and the chimney connector on the top of the stove? When I cleaned out my chimney before pulling my Morso 7110, I found that the soot cleared out of the chimney fell down on top of the baffle and at that time plugged up about 70% of the cross section of the stovepipe connector. While I had kept the chimney clean, I had not checked this area of my stove and it is not accessible until you remove the stovepipe. Now the soot will ultimately burn away, but ash might just accumulate

Did you remove the knockout plate before connecting up the outside air kit ? It seems really obvious but could be missed. Have you tried disconnecting the outside air ? It doesn't seem like you need it and if it is a long run it may simply be too restrictive. If the stove burns fine without it connected then you know that the cross section of the outside air system needs to be increased, or the choke point found and remedied.

The system should work like a charm, sounds like something is plugged. Did you check the chimney cap screen for plugging?

Status
Not open for further replies.