Question about raising up insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffsquatch

Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2010
Mtka, MN
I am in the process of reinstalling my Montpelier insert after the "professional installer" did a complete hackjob.
Anyway, the original firebox of my masonry fireplace is about one and a quarter inch below the hearth. I need to raise the insert up to be fairly level with the hearth. What is the safest/best/cheapest way to do this? Can I use durock under the insert, or is that just a bad idea? I have some paver blocks that are about the right thickness, but i am unsure if they can be used in this situation either. Are paver blocks different than fireplace brick?
Also, I would like it to be fairly flat, so it is easier to roll the insert in and out if I need to. Would I need to build up the whole area, or can I get by with some "tracks" that the insert wheels will roll on?
Any suggestions are appreciated, unless you suggest using random broken pieces of tile like the installer used. :gulp:
Thanks much

Any solid, non-combustible is ok. Pavers sound good. You might want to put a sheet of steel or aluminum on top of them if the intent is to make it easier to roll the insert out.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!
I like the idea of the sheet metal.
I absolutely love this site and really appreciate all the knowledge I have gained from it. And the laughs.

I am actually a bit surprised the first response wasn't "2x4's"

I'd say random broken pieces of 2" x 4" 's oughta git 'er done. %-P

My insert was about half an inch lower than where it needed to be... I used a piece of the terribly ugly slate mantle of the old fireplace.

For 0.25" some metal plate would work pretty easily. more space than that, I would go for some sort of stone product.

Status
Not open for further replies.