Question about recessing tile for ember protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chillyinthewoods

Feb 27, 2021
NY
Hi-- I will be installing a wood stove (morsoe 2b classic) and for ember protection I have an oversize (30x60") 3/8" thick porcelain tile and 11 cm hardie backer board. To minimize the risk of stubbing toes on it, I want to recess it by removing the floorboards and laying it on the subfloor. My question is, do I need to actually set the tile or cementboard or can I just lay them on top of the subfloor since they are each one piece? I'm not concerned about them moving, for obvious reasons, I just want to minimize the risk of cracking. Thank you!

I hope that is 11mm hardibacker. The cement board should be screwed to the subfloor per mfg recommendation. Then use thinset to set the tile. The thinset will fill in irregularities and offer more even support once it sets up. You can then trim out the edges with quarter-round for a pretty stub-proof installation.

I wanted to do the same thing, but for now I am going to try this. It's an interesting approach, and along the lines of what you are thinking, but you're using the existing floor in place of the aluminum "L" material. I like this idea because if you repaint in a few years and the tile color is off, you can just swap out the tiles. Also, let's face it, tiles can break when you drop stuff on them and that is likely around a wood stove, ask me how I know. So, this would make removing a broken tile and replacing super easy...