Question about wood floors and pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oknev

Jan 21, 2011
TX
I have a couple questions. We have a older home that has a lot of wood flooring. We have not insulated under the house yet and I am wondering if our Englander will be able to put out enough heat to even feel it? Part of the den does have carpet but you can feel the cold air coming up thru the flooring everywhere else. Also, where is the best place to purchase your insulated pipe? Anyone else not have your flooring insulated ?

Thanks in advance!

Which Englander are you looking to install? What's the layout of the house like? How much other insulation is there in the house? How are the windows? How many square feet? Standard ceilings? What part of TX?

pen

Is this a crawlspace or basement under the floor. Either way, seal it up well for the winter.

www.dynamitebuys.com is a good place to order pipe if you don't have a local big box hardware store nearby.

Which Englander are you looking to install? What's the layout of the house like? How much other insulation is there in the house? How are the windows? How many square feet? Standard ceilings? What part of TX?

pen
We bought the nc-30 englander. We installed new insulated windows and new insulation in attic. The house is around 2,500 sq ft. Ceilings are 8 ft. We live in east. Tx. The stove is in center of the house in den that is open to kitchen.
Thanks

If the floor is cold in may remain so - especially as you distance yourself from the stove. Depending on the layout, overall insulation and outsides temp(as well as wind speeds) it sounds like you are attempting to heat a lot of space with one stove.

At the same time an NC30 could do a great job in your space in moderate to cold temps and low wind if you are well insulated, etc...

I find my house to stay very warm with an unisulated or heated basement as long as the temps outside are in the 20's or above and I am running a 30 but also only heating 1600sq'.

If/when the temps dip into the teens for an extended period I run the furnace now and then to put a little heat into the basement for pipe security. Otherwise I stay rather cozy. I just don't want my "free" heat to be offset by paying for new pipes even if my brother is my plumber!!

I say, Burn it and see. This will be your answer and there is not reason to spend the money to heat the floor if not necessary.

This is just an opinion and not gospel - I imagine others with similar floor issues will chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.