Question about wood stove clearances?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcrathbone

Jan 15, 2016
Western North Carolina
New member here I tried to search through existing forums but had no luck finding excactly the info I am after. I have a volgazene ponderosa that I bought to go in a carport that I'm marking in to a den. The problem that I have is the calling height of the room will only be 7ft and the stove will sitting on the concrete floor of the carport. Is there anything I can install on the celling ( I was thinking about a non combustible heat shield with air gap ) that will reduce my clearance issues. The up side to this is I haven't picked the stove up yet and am sure I can swap it out for a smaller one with a 7ft clearance. Thanks Jarred

That is a bit unusual, most stoves require 84" instead of 96". If the inspecting authority allows it you may be able to put up a ceiling heat shield on 1" non-combustible spacers over the stove. More importantly, will you be able to have at least 15' of flue system on this stove. It may perform poorly without enough chimney.

I've looked at a number of stoves and the ponderosa is the only one that's requiring 8ft celling , you think it could be a typo in the manuel? And the flue system will be at least 15ft thanks for the response.

you think it could be a typo in the manuel?
I can't answer that. Call Vogelzang support. If they say it's a typo try to get the correction in writing so that you have it for the inspection and insurance purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.