Question for DiscoInferno about BIS Ultima

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pants on fire

Hearth Supporter
Aug 20, 2009
midwest
directed at Disco since I know he has an ultima, but anyone else that has one, feel free to chime in. Been reading the forums for a while and have decided on the BIS ultima. My opening is 32.5" wide by 34" tall. The unit will be slid in form behind. I was just wondering if it will fit without making the opening any larger. (i.e. will the louvers and all moving parts fit through that size opening or am I looking at some wall work. Thanks

If you PM Disco, then it will come up as mail for him and he will not have to stumble onto this thread by chance. You can direct or link him to this thread so his answer's can maybe help others. Good luck & welcome to the Hearth forum. I have PMed him for you at no charge. ;-) Good luck
N of 60

I'm not at home right now, but the manual (and my memory) say the outer dimensions of the unit are 36" wide and 36 1/16" high. There is blank metal trim on both side and the top which is maybe around 2" wide. (I can give you the actual number in a few days.) Thus I don't think anything important would be covered by your opening size. The manual says noncombustable facing/surround is allowed to overlap the unit, so if that's the case then you are golden. But if it's a wood-framed opening or has any drywall, etc, then you need to do some work. Combustible surrounds need to be flush with the unit.

Edit: Looking at some pics, the door handle might be a problem depending on the thickness of the surround. I'll have to measure that when I get back.

My surround is brick so should be okay there. I just looked the the specs on my old gas FP and it's about the same size so it all looks pretty good. Thanks to both of you for your help. BTW, my installer is talking about an AC chimney. We get quite a bit of sub freezing temps, after doing a bit of research, I think I really want the insulated stainless (can't think of the name right now, man I'm up too late)...anyway do you guys concur?

I have the air-cooled chimney on my Ultima, in MD. It was cheaper. No significant buildup and no draft issues, but certainly the insulated pipe is the "preferred" type. Also you are probably colder than maryland. I believe you are limited to two types of insulated chimney offered by Security.

Followup: The louvers frame a rectangle 29.5" wide and 32.5" high, centered left-right and flush with the floor. The area outside of this rectangle is just black metal. The door handle sticks out to the right side a little less than 2" past the 29.5" measurement, and in that region it is about 2.5" out from the face. So, given your 32.5" x 34" dimensions I think you are fine as long as you either offset the unit a little to the left to allow room for the door handle on the right, or cut out a little bit of brick for the handle. (Unless your brick is thin enough that the door handle will clear the brick when centered.)

I really have to thank you for such a detailed description and measurement. I'm supposed to have the unit installed a week from Monday. The installers will see how it matches up with the opening, but you're right, with the handle it'll be close but just maybe I can be spared the mess and expense of removing and cutting some brick. The brick are full thickness with the unit recessed. Once again I couldn't have asked for more detailed, accuarate measurements. Much thanks to you, Disco....glad to have found the good people at hearth.com.

Glad to help. Make sure you post some pictures of your install, and let us know how the unit works this winter.

BTW - plan to install a blower in the bottom to get the most heat out of the stove. It's easiest to run the electrical right into the base of the unit, it has knockouts for that purpose.

Ordered it with the blower. Electrical is already run to the area since my gas fireplace had a blower. I will give my report as the weather gets cooler...now, I've just gotta find some wood that's burnable. Thanks again.. I'll let you know how the install goes.

Unit was installed today. Unfortunately, I can't use it though, since the plain black doors (contemporary doors) are on "Factory Backorder" which is really frustrating. I hate to say it, but had I known this beforehand, I may have ordered a different unit. (it conveys a certain ineptitude on the part of the manufacturer at meeting the market demands). My installers ended up removing some face brick to make the opening larger, giving the unit a real nice look. But for now, it's nothing more than a "hearth ornament".

Must be a common problem, last year it was Napoleon stoves with the doors backordered. Maybe they're hoping people will pay for the fancy doors?

In what must be the shortest "backorder" in history, my doors arrived today. Had my first break-in period fire. Gotta say I really like the unit. As much as I hate winter, this should make it a little more bearable.

We've got a BIS Ultima too. You definitely will got a LOT more heat out of it with the blower on. Enjoy it. Ours works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.