Question for Oslo owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Do you use a key damper in the flue pipe of your Jotul Oslo?

• Yes, the damper works well to help regulate the burn.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the stove works fine as is.

• Yes, but I don’t run an oslo.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backroads

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jun 19, 2008
Small Town, RI
I'm about to install my Oslo and this question has been kicking around in my head now for weeks. I've already run the stove 3 times outside and have had it up to 550*. I'm concerned over the posiblity of over draft though. I have a thru wall chimney probably close to 30ft. I know I can't completely shut the stove's intake down so I was thinking of adding a flue key damper in the pipe. I'd like to know what other Oslo owners are doing. If you want to share your setup too, that's great. Thanks in advance guys.

We have a similar setup to yours- an Oslo piped horizontally through the wall then straight up about 26 feet. We don't have any problem with over-draft, or under-draft. Overnight burn times are acceptable in my opinion. The biggest problem we have is getting a draft started with a cold stove and chimney. This is due to the external chimney and not the stove though.

Good luck with your install! It's a great stove.

Josh

my setup is double wall pipe from stove to thimble into an exterior 8x8 inch clay flue tile in a 2 foot square brick chase chimney, I think it's 24 feet high.

my stove drafts, burns, and heats my 2200 sq. ft. home just fine, except on the coldest of nights when windy, like, 12 degrees and 20 mph. winds, then it'll struggle.

i don't think you need any damper in your stove pipe.

Re-read Gulland's "Bungalow Syndrome" article here for non-cat air control methods.
Our Oslo is used Downeast for 24/7 heat along with a cat stove in another part of the house. The Oslo works fine AS A NON-CAT with a limited air control: not too little air, not too much air. It's a mommy control. :lol: One technique we tried is to push fibreglass insulation or crumpled aluminum foil to partially block the air intake in the back of the Oslo. Not great results. It's a good safety measure to have it handy for a runaway chimney fire. It can shut the intake down completely.

A damper would be OK for more air control, but:
1. You have another device to remember to use. :red:
2. 24/7 burners need to check the flues over the winter. Cleaning a flue with a damper is a PITA--it needs to be removed.
3. Non-cats are designed to burn without any other air control.
4. If top exit AND a double wall telescoping pipe is used ( Selkirk ), the damper install is another PITA.

Just say no to a damper. JMNSHO

Backroads,

I have some horizontal pipe issues and a pipe damper would not benefit me. Some of the "experts" here say my setup should'nt work, but it works well. I can acheive temps of 500F no problem and with virtually no creosote. The key is dry wood. I heat 2100 sq. ft. 24/7 and the stove does a great job.

Jim

I would not even consider it on mine. You will be able to regulate it just fine without a damper. As Downeast said dampers are a huge PITA and unnecessary on the Oslo.

I'm running my Oslo with a 45 degree run into the thimble on an 8"x8" masonry flue and have no problems. The air control will cut the draft down enough to almost smother out a fire in this setup.

Do you mean you went to 550F one of the first three times, or that you have fired 3 times after the break-in fires? (Max temp during break in is 400F for the Oslo.)

downeast said:
Re-read Gulland's "Bungalow Syndrome" article here for non-cat air control methods.

Already read it twice that's why I'm asking for others that have experience with this particular stove.

One technique we tried is to push fibreglass insulation or crumpled aluminum foil to partially block the air intake in the back of the Oslo. Not great results. It's a good safety measure to have it handy for a runaway chimney fire. It can shut the intake down completely.

Thanks, this is the kind of information I was hoping to gain from this post.

Just say no to a damper. JMNSHO

That's the direction I'm leaning towards. Thanks guys.

fattire said:
Do you mean you went to 550F one of the first three times, or that you have fired 3 times after the break-in fires? (Max temp during break in is 400F for the Oslo.)

I took it to 550* after running the third break in fire at 400* for about an hour. I had the thermometer on the top center of the stove so the sides were probably significantly cooler. I realize the recommended break in is 400* but to me it didn't seem like the entire stove was getting hot enough for the final burn off. When I did take it up I could smell the pungent smell of the stove paint final cure. I only ran it there for about 10 minutes, I believe most of the time it was about 450-525 but at the very end when I shut it down it was creeping up on 550 so I shut it back down to 400* for a few more minutes and then for cool down. My wife will be much happier not having to smell the paint in the house. (Me too for not having to listen to her) ;-)

I took it to 550* after running the third break in fire at 400* for about an hour. I had the thermometer on the top center of the stove so the sides were probably significantly cooler. quote]||

Does the Oslo manual say the thermometer should go on the "Middle" of the stove or eather "Side top" of the stove?? My book says one side or the other on top for my Castine f400.

johnnywarm said:
I took it to 550* after running the third break in fire at 400* for about an hour. I had the thermometer on the top center of the stove so the sides were probably significantly cooler. quote]||

Does the Oslo manual say the thermometer should go on the "Middle" of the stove or eather "Side top" of the stove?? My book says one side or the other on top for my Castine f400.

Top of the stove . . . any of the four corners. Not in the middle though.

firefighterjake said:
johnnywarm said:

Thanks Jake. does anybody know the reason for this??

The manual says top corner I believe. Once I have it installed I'm going to keep one thermometer on the pipe and one on the top left corner. Now is the task is getting it from out of the garage and up the stairs an into the house and vice versa with the old VC.

johnnywarm said:
firefighterjake said:
johnnywarm said:

No problem . . . I can't tell you how much help I've got from hanging out here at this site . . . just returning the favor.

As to why . . . I'm not sure . . . the manual that came with my Jotul shows that the thermometer should be placed in one of the four corners on the top of the stove, so that's what I did. Like the last poster I opted to put mine in the top, left-hand corner -- no particular reason . . . just figured it looked good there.

firefighterjake said:
johnnywarm said:
firefighterjake said:
johnnywarm said:

No problem . . . I can't tell you how much help I've got from hanging out here at this site . . . just returning the favor.

As to why . . . I'm not sure . . . the manual that came with my Jotul shows that the thermometer should be placed in one of the four corners on the top of the stove, so that's what I did. Like the last poster I opted to put mine in the top, left-hand corner -- no particular reason . . . just figured it looked good there.

I have it top right hand corner. Thanks bud

John

We cover all bets with the thermometer placement: have 2 and they move around all 4 corners when I feel like it. It's one of those OCD things that just feels good. And, you can do the compare thermometer thing too ( another in your bag of OCD tricks ). SWMBO thinks I'm out of it....she's correct.
The cat Encore however gets one thermometer that sits still, in the middle of the griddle ( maybe a rap ).

downeast said:
We cover all bets with the thermometer placement: have 2 and they move around all 4 corners when I feel like it. It's one of those OCD things that just feels good. And, you can do the compare thermometer thing too ( another in your bag of OCD tricks ). SWMBO thinks I'm out of it....she's correct.
The cat Encore however gets one thermometer that sits still, in the middle of the griddle ( maybe a rap ).

Your comments put a smile on my face.

This past weekend we hosted a Fire Prevention Open House . . . along with the kid's games, smoke house, seatbelt convincer, etc. for the kids I also invited in folks selling heat pumps, Bangor Hydro with a table on space heater safety, the Maine Association of Chimney Service Professionals (Sweeps) and Evergreen Home Solutions to set up a display on pellet and woodstoves.

After the day was done the owner from Evergreen ended up giving me a pair of gloves, some cleaning solution and a thermometer since he said "I don't want to carry all of this stuff back to my truck" . . . it should be noted that he also gave my boss, an Assistant Chief, a thermometer and some gloves as well. Needless to say, I'll be giving Evergreen some serious consideration if I need parts, accessories, etc.

In any case I took the thermometer and placed it on my Oslo's front/right corner . . . figured like you I would be able to see how accurate my other thermometer is . . . and of course my wife just shook her head when she asked why there were two thermometers on my stove and I explained that I was comparing temps with each other. For the record, she thinks I spend way, way too much time here . . . but she was also very intrigued when I told her about the other thread that indicated Jotul may sell a soapstone top for the Oslo . . . and also for the record I was pleased to see both thermometers were pretty much in synch with each other.

firefighterjake said:
downeast said:
her about the other thread that indicated Jotul may sell a soapstone top for the Oslo . . . and also for the record I was pleased to see both thermometers were pretty much in synch with each other.

I am also looking forward to a soapstone top on the f500 & f600.theres are the stoves i am looking into for the future.that would make the sale for me.

firefighterjake said:
This past weekend we hosted a Fire Prevention Open House . . . along with the kid's games, smoke house, seatbelt convincer, etc. for the kids I also invited in folks selling heat pumps, Bangor Hydro with a table on space heater safety, the Maine Association of Chimney Service Professionals (Sweeps) and Evergreen Home Solutions to set up a display on pellet and woodstoves.
After the day was done the owner from Evergreen ended up giving me a pair of gloves, some cleaning solution and a thermometer since he said "I don't want to carry all of this stuff back to my truck" . . . it should be noted that he also gave my boss, an Assistant Chief, a thermometer and some gloves as well. Needless to say, I'll be giving Evergreen some serious consideration if I need parts, accessories, etc.
In any case I took the thermometer and placed it on my Oslo's front/right corner . . . figured like you I would be able to see how accurate my other thermometer is . . . and of course my wife just shook her head when she asked why there were two thermometers on my stove and I explained that I was comparing temps with each other. For the record, she thinks I spend way, way too much time here . . . but she was also very intrigued when I told her about the other thread that indicated Jotul may sell a soapstone top for the Oslo . . . and also for the record I was pleased to see both thermometers were pretty much in synch with each other.

Like to see another doing the thermometer dance....fun stuff.

Evergreen ( was Sunrise Home and Hearth in Ellsworth ) is a class operation: knowledgeable pros with exceptional service. The owner BTW does mucho hours of local service volunteering---nice guy.

I've run some "stump to stove" workshops for SWOAM, and a couple of Maine conservation/environmental organisations on our woodlots. You do the legwork for your people, and perhaps we could do one in late November or early December ? Maximum of 15 for the program. Seriously. PM if you're interested.

We're always amazed at how much people assume about firewood harvesting, working up wood, and stove use.
Like: " I hate to get up to load in the middle of the night". Or, " I don't burn spruce or pine, it makes creosote." Or, "I've used a chainsaw all my life without chaps or a helmet." Or, "wood stoves smell up the house." And so on...

Status
Not open for further replies.