Question for the computer gurus around here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick joke wasn't even looking of comments.

Hopefully someone can fix your problem.

Toshiba can probably get you the OEM key based on your serial number. I know you said the serial number sticker was also worn off, but it should be in the BIOS too, so there's no reason you can't get this information.

Put the Toshiba OS recovery disc in the DVD drive and boot to it. Depending on how Toshiba made their recovery discs at the time, it may only offer the OEM format and restore option, but if its just a Toshiba branded XPMC disc it should give you the option of running a repair installation, which should at least get you back online long enough to backup your data so you can then rerun the recovery operation and do a proper format and reinstall of XPMC.

You probably will not need the numbers off the XP hologram sticker on the laptop. Most (not all of course) major branded laptops and desktops started embedding the OS activation key in the system BIOS years ago and the recovery DVDs usually will check there for a valid number and use that...I haven't had a computer ask me for an OEM number in a very long time when I use an XP, Vista or 7 recovery disc.

In any case though, you have zero risk by booting to that recovery disc as it will definitely NOT wipe your hard drive clean without you approving it. Just read whats on the screen and you should be fine.

If you have access to another computer, you could also download the Barts PE boot disc, from which you can create a bootable CD that you can use to fire up your laptop and get at your files, run disk diagnostics, anti-virus, reg cleanup utilities, etc. Google it, its an invaluable tool for me when I get a system thats got a FFUBAR'd OS but data that needs to be recovered.

Webmaster said:
dave11 said:
Hey! So you're one of the eight people in the world who uses a Mac desktop? Pleased to finally meet one.

LOL--but sorry. True gurus use linux. Rock solid, and totally free. And I can use anyone's hardware.

I've helped many former Apple Slaves see the light. Give it a try.

PC in 1980.
Mac since 1984 - never had a single virus problem in all that time!

Mac's don't serialize system disks, etc. so they don't check in with the mother ship and turn you down. Anyway, macs=unix since about 10 years ago. As far as true gurus, most of the folks at google use macs. I think that should speak for itself.

Last I knew, no one had voted anyone at Google the Masters of all Knowledge and Practicality. Also, can you show any specifics about the actual percentage of Mac users at Google? I'd be surprised....

Do you know, for instance, that Google doesn't simply have an arrangement with Mac to provide all that hardware? Quite different from Google employees buying their own Macs.

So, only 6 more to find in the world. Yep, I'm a fan boy. Some seem to have missed the message that Apple is now the most successful and largest company in the world. Even that does not change the doubters......

Of course not. All it means is that it is successful at getting people to buy its product.

Well, my consolation is that while my friends were all fixing their computers and trying to figure out how to use them (it builds character, right?), I was instead forging years ahead of them and making money doing something other than tech support

I must shamefully admit, though, that I bought some microsoft stock a few weeks ago. Then again, I own 6X as much apple. I sorta like those dinosaur companies like microsoft...with the dividend and all. I'm a conservative guy.

OK, hopefully the problem was solved earlier in the thread. Yep, Unix is great...I use it on my hearth.com server (CentOS, but previously gentoo and FreeBSD). It sometimes runs for years without a reboot.....even a Mac can't do that.

Still overlooks the key point I'm making. Linux does exactly what Apple does, FOR FREE. That's FREE. Once more, FREE. That means you don't have to pay anything. You download it off the net, install it, and use it for FREE.

I don't know how many more times I can write FREE.

But hey, if you enjoy giving money needlessly to the heirs of Steve Jobs, go ahead.

Also, still waiting to hear what Mac app would rescue the OP's machine.

Oh, none? Doesn't sound like sort of machine a true guru would use. Their focus is on utility, and they need to hack/crack, not just watch youtube vids.

Dude, drop it already.
It's the Ford vs. Chevy argument. To each their own, whatever you like.
Not interested in being a "guru", just a computer that i can turn on and it actually works.

Status
Not open for further replies.