Question: Kingsman Cast Iron

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferJuniper64

Oct 30, 2015
Nebraska
Hi. I inherited an old farm house with a working Kingsman cast iron wood stove in it. It's in five shape and probably 20 years old. I used it to heat the house for the past two winters. It gets smoky in the house, but I think that's the fault of the chimney setup. Anyway, a prifessional recently glanced at it and told me that it isn't UL or EPA approved and that if I ever have a house fire, my insurance won't cover it. Is that true? Is there documentation of that anywhere? I hate to buy a new stove when this one works fine, but I want to be safe, above all. Please help me. I am no woodstove expert and winter is coming fast. Thank you. Jenni

First - smoke in the house is not acceptable. There is something wrong that needs to be remedied. Potentially dangerous.

Second - insurance depends on the ins. co. You need to talk to them to find out their requirements and make them aware of what you have. Some companies don't like wood stoves, some do. Some have specific requirements such as EPA or professionally installed, inspected, etc.

But whatever you decide to do - don't gloss over the smoke infiltration to the home. It could be coming through leaky windows or some such thing, but if it is chimney oriented, its wrong - very wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.