Question on Chimney and Roof Vents

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

duffman4450

Nov 23, 2020
Wisconsin
Hello, I have looked and can not find a thread on this so i am sorry if there is one already..

Moved into a new house in northern Wisconsin, where we have a outbuilding/barn. Wooden framed building with a concrete floor. It is "two stories", really a tall building with an attic/hayloft i think the proper style is a "Gambrel ". Currently it is not insulated and we may down the road insulate at least the main level. There currently is a turbine vent on one of the roof lines to vent the loft area.

We bought a old wood stove we are going to install to keep it warm while working in the barn and i have a question on chimney placement. I understand the 10/2 and 3ft min rules for the chimney, but am not sure if there are any best practices for location vs. the turbine vent other then making sure the chimney is higher then the vent. I would think i want to keep the vent for summer air circulation even thought it will loose some heat during the winter which i think i am ok with because the lost will have to have double lined pipe in it and there is only a small stair opening to get up there so it will not be that great of a heat loss.

So all that to ask if there are any guidelines i should look to follow with the chimney placement.

A little more info, we plan to go straight up and through the roof and have the stove to one side of the building to keep space open for tractor/trailers/working.

I would put a door to the vented space that is closed in the winter or put a cap on the bottom of the vent in the winter. Then it is a non-issue. For a stove, you will probably want one that is quite radiant.

Thanks Begreen, so i just looked and the vent is actually capped on the bottom right now so i wonder if they had it open at all this summer... as for the stove we have a Sears Franklin model #143-433. I just looked for the model tag and started to look it up and see there are not so many good reviews about these. So this would be in a barn not as an everyday heat source. what is the major hangup on these and can i use it safely.
IMG_2249.jpg

Last edited:
Send that to the scrap yard. They are notoriously hard to control and not really meant for what you are doing.

So just to play devils advocate/ have a good explanation for the wife what is the biggest reason to ditch this stove? I have read it is hard to control and it smokes.

Does this mean it lets smoke into the room? Hard to control means the fire can burn too hot and runs risk if igniting creosote in the stove/chimney pipe?

I am not fighting to use an unsafe stove i just like to know why and have all the info i can..a bit of OCD i guess, and just like to have a little knowledge about lots of stuff ==c

It was never really designed for heating. It is more of a fireplace designed to have a few logs burn in the evening. When people try to heat with it, and load it up with several splits, then hope to close it up for heating, the fire is very hard to control because it leaks a fair amount of air still to the fire. This not only makes the fireplace get red hot and risk cracking, it also sends a lot of heat up the flue, exceeding the rating of the chimney. If you want heat, put in a heater that will do the job controllably and safely.