Question on Stelrad NC-2 wood/coal boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hawnsz

Nov 24, 2020
Maine
Total noob to the forums here, been a lurker for a while. Haha
I have a simple question on my wood boiler door, as it has a sliding vent and can't find any information on it's purpose. I've always kept it shut as I want it's hydro damper to control airflow but never figured out if it's just more air inlet or maybe for a better draft?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Can't find any documentation on this guy haha

Stelrad NC-2 WOOD/COAL boiler
16062086904876289836477237647664.jpg

I don't know for sure but it could serve a couple purposes- when starting a fire from scratch it may help to get it started by having that open, then close when the fire is established. It could also be used prior to a reload on a partially burned load, the extra air would tend to heat things up raising the draft and perhaps reducing the smoke spillage when you open the loading door. For most of a normal burn it would be closed as you are doing.

Reactions: Hawnsz