Question regarding refacing fireplace and adding fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pisano772

Sep 27, 2019
NY
Hi. I’m currently having my fireplace refaced. The worker is currently in the process right now. He is going to finish up the fireplace first and then install a regency ci2700 insert. My question is in regards to the wood that is surrounded the fireplace (going to be covered up my ledger stone). Is that an issue that I have wood there. He’s saying it’s not an issue at all and is the best way to add ledger stone to it. I’ll attach a picture of before and after. Don’t pay attention to that insert in the first picture I removed that.

Attachments

• 4D1B3B6A-928A-48E8-84A7-6C2FCA28E054.jpeg
    4D1B3B6A-928A-48E8-84A7-6C2FCA28E054.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 145
  • E2473F54-16FC-4714-B1CB-137B58E86680.jpeg
    E2473F54-16FC-4714-B1CB-137B58E86680.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 270
Wood there is a combustible and definitely a concern. Why was it used?

Reactions: Pisano772
I understand using the wood for all the way above the fireplace and for the bookshelf but I thought where the ledger stone was being put he would have just attached that straight to the brick.

I understand using the wood for all the way above the fireplace and for the bookshelf but I thought where the ledger stone was being put he would have just attached that straight to the brick.
Yeah that wood absolutely can't be there. Why didn't he just use cement board? Make him change it now

Clearly he didn't understand the risk. What will be the final finished surface?

Also double check the side clearances for the 2700 to be sure that fireplace is ok

Clearly he didn't understand the risk. What will be the final finished surface?
Surrounding the fireplace box will be ledgstone then Molding above the mantle.

Attachments

• 1ACF3163-0805-457C-884E-26CE8462EA65.jpeg
    1ACF3163-0805-457C-884E-26CE8462EA65.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 103
are you lining the chimney? what size is it?

Surrounding the fireplace box will be ledgstone then Molding above the mantle.
Definitely not the right way to install this surface. It should have metal lathe applied. Here is a thread on that topic. How much experience does this installer have?

Last edited:
are you lining the chimney? what size is it?
I miswrote the beginning. The worker who is doing the refacing is only doing that. Next week I have a fireplace company coming in to install the fireplace insert. He measured everything and said it will fit perfect. I had an old insert in there previously but he is re lining it.

Definitely not the right way to install this surface. It should have metal lathe applied. Here is a thread on that topic. How much experience does this installer have?
Thanks. He just told me he was planning on using the cement board to go over the plywood. I’m going to contact my fireplace guy tomorrow and speak to him about it as well.

Thanks. He just told me he was planning on using the cement board to go over the plywood. I’m going to contact my fireplace guy tomorrow and speak to him about it as well.
Just covering the wood doesn't make it noncombustible. It can't be there

Just covering the wood doesn't make it noncombustible. It can't be there
Yeah. That’s what I told him too. I’m going to end up telling him he had to replace it with the cement board. How many feet up above the fireplace box do you think it’s acceptable to use the plywood?

Yeah. That’s what I told him too. I’m going to end up telling him he had to replace it with the cement board. How many feet up above the fireplace box do you think it’s acceptable to use the plywood?
I would have to look it up. But no reason just make him switch it all out for cement board.

Why add the cement board? Is metal lathe better? Look up the product's installation recomendations. paging Hogwildz

Just read the other thread you posted. So if I go the metal lath route what prevents it from loosening up if the paint on the brick ever starts to peel?
The lath is attached to the brick mechanically so the paint bond doesn't matter

I did this on a fireplace face that I tiled. The bond for the skim coat is to the well anchored lath. In my case I used chicken wire. When I tore out the fireplace a decade later the bond was still strong.

Reactions: moresnow
My fireplace was painted brick. I attached wire lathe over the brick and then laid the stone up. It bonded very well. As others have said, the plywood can’t be there, there’s no reason for it at all. It has me questioning his experience using stone veneer. He definitely doesn’t know anything about fireplaces.

Attachments

• 8DBDB938-EEDF-4A70-B188-F331F6D26F15.jpeg
    8DBDB938-EEDF-4A70-B188-F331F6D26F15.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 133
Just wanted to say thanks for all the comments. I spoke with the guy who installed the insert and he told me all the requirements. I used cement board all around the fireplace. Here is the final results. Unf the blower for the regency ci2700 blower was damaged so he has to come back to install that. So as of now building a fire would be pointless.

Attachments

• 371C071A-6C3C-469F-A669-C686BBB8DC3F.jpeg
    371C071A-6C3C-469F-A669-C686BBB8DC3F.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 120