Question - Small Insert in Factory Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tcb

Oct 25, 2021
BC
What a wealth of information in here. I'm hopeful some of you can help as I am new to this world.

We bought a house with a factory fireplace. I am looking to put an insert in it. Our local installer is recommending an option that does not fit the aesthetic we are looking for. Our firebox is 35 7/8" wide at the front, 19 5/8" wide at the rear, 16 7/8" deep and 22" tall.
1F4A4244-0763-4A7E-90E7-B08DE8B6E697.jpeg
We are being recommended a Regency I1150. My wife is not a huge fan of the classic style. The more contemporary option, Regency CI1150, we're told is to tall to fit.

Is anyone aware of other options that would fit this small-sized factory firebox? It seems either height or depth are the main constraints for us.

Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited:
View attachment 284025What a wealth of information in here. I'm hopeful some of you can help as I am new to this world.

We bought a house with a factory fireplace. I am looking to put an insert in it. Our local installer is recommending an option that does not fit the aesthetic we are looking for. Our firebox is 35 7/8" wide at the front, 19 5/8" wide at the rear, 16 7/8" deep and 22" tall.

We are being recommended a Regency I1150. My wife is not a huge fan of the classic style. The more contemporary option, Regency CI1150, we're told is to tall to fit.

Is anyone aware of other options that would fit this small-sized factory firebox? It seems either height or depth are the main constraints for us.

Thanks so much in advance.
What make and model fireplace is it?

Did you read the manual to see if any inserts are specified by desa for your fireplace? If they don't specify any you can't install one
The DESA manual asks that an insert be tested for use with the firebox

The DESA manual asks that an insert be tested for use with the firebox
Ok is the regency tested with that firebox?

I’m relying on my professional installer and haven’t looked into the details yet myself.

This is all very new to me. Trying to find something that fits and meets the aesthetic expectations of my partner.

Thanks for responding.

I’m relying on my professional installer and haven’t looked into the details yet myself.

This is all very new to me. Trying to find something that fits and meets the aesthetic expectations of my partner.

Thanks for responding.
Make sure you double check that what they are telling you is accurate. Some are more interested in getting the work than doing it correctly.

Reactions: tcb
Some reading of the forum looks like this is a liability issue. If my 30+ year pro installer is good with the safety of the instal it seems reliable.

The firebox doesn’t not allow it without testing, testing every insert would be prohibitively expensive. But the firebox is also designed for an open flame and an insert would not be open.

If an insert our style doesn’t fit, where would we be left standing? A new zero clearance EPA fireplace?

Some reading of the forum looks like this is a liability issue. If my 30+ year pro installer is good with the safety of the instal it seems reliable.

The firebox doesn’t not allow it without testing, testing every insert would be prohibitively expensive. But the firebox is also designed for an open flame and an insert would not be open.

If an insert our style doesn’t fit, where would we be left standing? A new zero clearance EPA fireplace?
It is partly a liability issue yes. But it's also an issue of the fact that we have absolutely no idea if it's safe or not because it hasn't been tested.

I was under the impression that the UL was not granting permission anymore for inserts to be installed in zero clearance fire places. Is this correct?

I was under the impression that the UL was not granting permission anymore for inserts to be installed in zero clearance fire places. Is this correct?
They supposedly are soon.

The installer is good with it, the inspector is good with it. If it were a masonry fireplace - are you aware of an insert that is:

less than 36" wide at the front,
less than 20" wide at the rear,
less than 17" deep and
less than 22" tall?

Besides the Regency i1150 - does it exist?

The installer is good with it, the inspector is good with it. If it were a masonry fireplace - are you aware of an insert that is:

less than 36" wide at the front,
less than 20" wide at the rear,
less than 17" deep and
less than 22" tall?

Besides the Regency i1150 - does it exist?
The installer is good with it because he wants your money.

The inspector is good with it because he didn't bother to read the manual or label in the fireplace. And btw the inspector assumes absolutely no liability at all for things they miss. Just look at the lopi insert and insulation thread. An inspector passed that train wreck.

Have you talked to desa to find out what inserts were specified for their fireplace?

The installer is good with it because he wants your money.

The inspector is good with it because he didn't bother to read the manual or label in the fireplace. And btw the inspector assumes absolutely no liability at all for things they miss. Just look at the lopi insert and insulation thread. An inspector passed that train wreck.

Have you talked to desa to find out what inserts were specified for their fireplace?
DESA is no longer in business.

DESA is no longer in business.
Then you are pretty much out of luck because even if you could figure out what inserts were specified if any. They would no longer be in production regardless

What are the best budget-friendly options here then? I want to burn wood. We have an abundance of it.

Reframe a new EPA zero clearance in its place?

Woodstove on a hearth?

More confused than ever.

What are the best budget-friendly options here then? I want to burn wood. We have an abundance of it.

Reframe a new EPA zero clearance in its place?

Woodstove on a hearth?

More confused than ever.
A freestanding stove with a prefab chimney in a different location would be the cheapest option for sure with the most options