Question to the old timers; PE Super 43

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

llevesque

Oct 17, 2008
Ontario,CA
Hi,

I think I have a good one for you guys.

I own a PE Super 43. It was purchased with the house I bought last January. The stove is in pretty bad shape. No parts are available for this model as it was discontinued in 86.
I've been digging for info and have found very little. I'm having it fixed by a welding shop. I had new baffle mounts made from the measurement of the old ones. I managed to get a baffle plan from the PE guys through my local shop.

Now we are at the part were we put it back together.

The insides width is 22" the baffle plans shows 12" X 12" plate with opposite lips at each end, and the baffle mounts are 4" wide. It seems I'm missing 2" somewhere.
Also I'm not sure on the orientation of the baffle. (front lip facing down or facing up) does the baffles sit all the way to the back? is 12x12 the right dimenssion?

The current Pacific Energy staff is trying to find me someone that remembers the model and how it was made.

From what I've been told, the PE factory burnt down at one point and the plans for that model were lost in the fire.

Any of you own this model and if you do, could I get pictures of the insides? Truthfully, any info would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

L.

Attachments

• Photo_101608_001.jpg
    Photo_101608_001.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 364
Send an email to Tom Oyen at www.chimneysweeponline.com. He may have worked with this stove and has a pretty good collection of old documentation.

I can find no docs about the Super 43 in our files, but if dim memory serves, that baffle sat on the side rails, all the way back, with the front curve pointing upward.

This also comes from the dead brain cell area of my head, but I'm pretty sure the PE insert sonnyinbc replaced had that same baffle in it. Maybe he can chime in with some wisdom?

thechimneysweep said:
...This also comes from the dead brain cell area of my head...

I'm approaching a point in my life where there doesn't seem to be any other area left in my head. 8-/ Rick

When you've really approached that point, you'll probably be the last to know. However, if they select you to hide the easter eggs, that's a sign. :-/

thechimneysweep said:
I can find no docs about the Super 43 in our files, but if dim memory serves, that baffle sat on the side rails, all the way back, with the front curve pointing upward.

This also comes from the dead brain cell area of my head, but I'm pretty sure the PE insert sonnyinbc replaced had that same baffle in it. Maybe he can chime in with some wisdom?

The baffle on my old insert is 10x16. I just had the ironworks shop cut me a flat piece of iron(twice) because I didn`t believe the schematics that PE gave me were correct so I had them make it too big.--whoops!! The OP should get it cut to exactly what Pacific Energy says and try it. And yes, it sits on the side rails all the way back with the front curve pointing upward.

I wouldn't count on a free ride for this rebuild: PE started offering the lifetime warranty protection when they began incorporating stainless steel innards, long after the Super 43 was out of production. Prior to that, the baffles and side rails were mild steel, and carried a 5-year warranty.

Hi,

I got a answer from Pacific Energy.

here is the answer: Might be useful to someone else.

The baffle sits all the way to the back with the 2" lip at the front, facing up.

drawing for the S43 (1986 to 1988) baffle. It is 15 x 16 ½. (drawing attached)

Thanks for the help everyone.

Attachments

• S43_BAFFLE_86_TO_88.jpg
    S43_BAFFLE_86_TO_88.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 362
Status
Not open for further replies.