Questions about loading up the stove full and maintaining temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCredneck

Aug 29, 2011
RDU area NC
OK, I have burned several nights worth of wood in my new stove. I only loaded 2 to 4 medium sized splits ( mostly pine and some oak ) each time once my flue connection temp hits around 200 to 250 I start dampering it down in increments. The first increment doesn't really seem to make much difference at all even though I damper it halfway. After bout 5 to 10 minutes I damper it again about half of the remaining distance which is about 75 percent of total damper arm movement. Makes a little difference but not much....Flue temp is usually around 300 and stove face is 300 to 350. I assume this is slowing the flue temp increase and increasing the stove box temps because less heat is going up the chimney. My final stage of dampering down is done ( about half of whats left) so 85 percent of total damper movement. Temps on flue around 325 to 350 and stove face has climbed as high as 525.

Question 1: Does this dampering process sound about right? I have been seeing the secondaries some but they are short lived probably because of just 3 or 4 med. size pieces and mostly pine. I have also watched the smoke coming out the chimney and it is not alot coming out which tells me I am doing ok I think?

Question 2: Even with the air all the way off...cuz I tried it for a while one night, the wood continues to burn pretty good and temps climbed to 525 or so and I was wondering if it would have kept climbing even worse if the stove was packed full. Comments? I know because its an EPA stove there is still some air allowed to come in. How can I stop that on a PE summit insert?

Question 3: If I pack the stove full or at least with much more wood, should I damper it down quickly once burning decent to keep it from ever getting going too good?
I am a little nervous bout loading it to the gills and dampering it all the way down..wondering if the temps will keep climbing and overfire.

NCredneck said:
OK, I have burned several nights worth of wood in my new stove. I only loaded 2 to 4 medium sized splits ( mostly pine and some oak ) each time once my flue connection temp hits around 200 to 250 I start dampering it down in increments. I assume this is a magnetic thermo on single wall pipe? The first increment doesn't really seem to make much difference at all even though I damper it halfway. Pretty normal . . . I find the same . . . I don't really see much of a difference in heat output -- seeing the thermo on the stove rise, feel more heat and hear the sounds of heat until I start cutting it back to the quarter mark or so. After bout 5 to 10 minutes I damper it again about half of the remaining distance which is about 75 percent of total damper arm movement. Makes a little difference but not much....Flue temp is usually around 300 and stove face is 300 to 350. I assume this is slowing the flue temp increase and increasing the stove box temps because less heat is going up the chimney. My final stage of dampering down is done ( about half of whats left) so 85 percent of total damper movement. Temps on flue around 325 to 350 and stove face has climbed as high as 525. Remember . . . there is some lag time with the stove top temp as there is a mass of cast iron, steel, stone, etc.

Question 1: Does this dampering process sound about right? I have been seeing the secondaries some but they are short lived probably because of just 3 or 4 med. size pieces and mostly pine. I have also watched the smoke coming out the chimney and it is not alot coming out which tells me I am doing ok I think? Process sounds normal . . . I have a probe thermo in double wall though so I'm not sure if this is the point where you would want to cut back on the air . . . having a smaller load in the firebox will resort in shorter lasting secondaries . . . seeing no smoke from your chimney when you have reached the point where you have cut back the air is almost always a good sign . . .

Question 2: Even with the air all the way off...cuz I tried it for a while one night, the wood continues to burn pretty good and temps climbed to 525 or so and I was wondering if it would have kept climbing even worse if the stove was packed full. Comments? I know because its an EPA stove there is still some air allowed to come in. How can I stop that on a PE summit insert? I think you will find that it will climb to a certain point and level off . . . finding out that point with your own stove involves a bit of trial and error. I know that pretty much I can cut off the air . . . and I can do a full load . . . but if I attempt to reload the stove too soon in the burning cycle (i.e. putting a few more splits on a fire before it has reached the late coaling stage simply because I'm ready for bed and didn't time things very well) my stove will go thermo-nuclear . . . ditto for when I put in a whole load of small to medium sized, two- to three-year old poplar. However, normally I can reload the stove on hot coals and it will only go up so far before leveling off.

Question 3: If I pack the stove full or at least with much more wood, should I damper it down quickly once burning decent to keep it from ever getting going too good?
I am a little nervous bout loading it to the gills and dampering it all the way down..wondering if the temps will keep climbing and overfire. Yes . . . I would . . . I have found that if I close the air earlier (i.e. when it's in the good temp zone) that the temps will go up a bit, but will then level off . . . a similar load of similar wood not "dampered" down quite so quickly and left to rise higher in temp will also go up a bit and will level off . . . but often at a higher temp . . . I'm not sure why this is.

Thanks FFJ, sometimes it helps to know you aint been just lucky and might actually be doing it right. I think I will continue to stuff it more and more until I get a full load of wood in there and damper it down a little faster each time. I remember seeing a pic that Hogwildz had with the PE so full and the flames of hell going.....maybe by dead of winter I will be there..

NCredneck said:
Thanks FFJ, sometimes it helps to know you aint been just lucky and might actually be doing it right. I think I will continue to stuff it more and more until I get a full load of wood in there and damper it down a little faster each time. I remember seeing a pic that Hogwildz had with the PE so full and the flames of hell going.....maybe by dead of winter I will be there..

Portal to Hell . . . first time you really see it going you will think "Crap! I'm going to burn down my house" . . . in my first year I had some good secondary action . . . it wasn't until Year 2 with very well-seasoned wood that I saw what good wood could really do in a stove with a secondary burn . . . more heat and a lot more pucker factor . . . both are very motivating factors in helping your learn what to do and more importantly not do with your woodstove.

Status
Not open for further replies.