Questions about using wood stove as primary heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah code here is 2x6. I don’t remember what we have in the walls I will have to confirm with my father in-law. I’m pretty sure the attic is r38.

Should. The owner should prefer that and pay more but the contractor should not do extra work unless it is profitable.

Yes, I feel the contractor needs to educate the customer and enlighten them on the substantial benefits to better insulation. Obviously the upgrade is at a cost.
Around here most custom homes are insulating similar to my place, the cookie cutters are coming in at code minimums. R60 attic is at the top of the curve, but the upgrade in the walls is significantly worthwhile imo.

Yes, I feel the contractor needs to educate the customer and enlighten them on the substantial benefits to better insulation. Obviously the upgrade is at a cost.
I imagine that very few people live in homes built as custom homes by their own contractor. Most likely live in developments, built according to lowest cost methods, and have very little influence over how their home is insulated.

Reactions: Highbeam
I imagine that very few people live in homes built as custom homes by their own contractor. Most likely live in developments, built according to lowest cost methods, and have very little influence over how their home is insulated.

It's definitely not the majority, but happen alot more than many realize. I've been working 23 years at it and my father's still going iand nto his 56th year. Custom homes are our bread and butter.

Take the construction chat to the DIY forum.
thread hijack.jpg

i just purchased a blaze king ashford 30. i was originally looking at the princess but the stove place i went to recommended the ashford 30 over the princess. the house is two floors and its 2,300 sq ft. The house is being built currently so it will be well insulated and air tight.the house is equipped with a oil burner furnace and hydro air set up but id like to not use that all that much.

I have two questions regarding using this wood stove as a primary heat. the first one is will that stove be large enough to heat my home? My other question is the house has a air handler in the attic for the central air and the heat my biggest concern is if the heat isn't used much on days that it gets down too the teens should i be concerned about my pipes freezing i wasn't sure if anyone else has the scenario. Thank you
Me thinks the Princess is better than the Ashford for your situation.I'd put the Olso in the basement and the Blaze on the main floor.The basement stove will keep the pipes from freezing and the Blaze will take care of the upstairs.