Questions for a new installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kb1ejw

Apr 7, 2022
MA- USA
Hello All- I am purchasing a house in a week or so from a family member. I want to install a pellet stove, but I have some questions for the venting. The house is a 1 story ranch style, and used to have a wood stove in the basement years ago. I'd like to put the stove in basement where the woodstove was, but I have some options for the venting. The chimney for the former wood stove is 8x8 masonry, however hasn't been inspected. The thimble in the foundation, which is block, is 6 inches which I found unusual for an older wood stove installation.
Anyway, I have about 20 ft total of 4 in. ICC Excelpellet straight pipe sections I was given. My plan was to go up the chimney with this pipe. I could go out the side of the house next to the chimney, but there are windows on either side so I would have to run the vent up high. I don't know I have have 4ft clearance to the nearest window. I do plan to install an outside air intake though.
My question really, is what would be the best setup.
1: Run the vent inside the chimney, but then I imagine I would have to remove it all to clean the T at the bottom (Or could I take apart the bottom horizontal piece and vacuum it from the basement?)
2: Run the pipe out of the side of the house, and attach it to the chimney. Easier to clean but I would essentially have a chimney attached to a chimney.
3: Any ideas from you all?

Thanks for any suggestions.

As said above and pictures of the chimney would be helpful

I don't have one purchased yet. I've been looking at used Harman stoves, probably P43 or larger. I'll have to get a pic of the chimney. Perhaps my estimates of distances from the windows are off

Whatever stove you are getting, download the owners / install manual for clearances and proper venting..

Reactions: VintageGal