Quick and easy rack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnalogKid

Burning Hunk
Oct 22, 2012
CT
I built this on Tuesday out of a couple pallets and a few 2x4s. The pallets are not joined, so I can move them to areas of my yard where I let my wood season. Essentially they are bookends, so add'l pallets can be added to make the stacks as long as you'd like. As it sits it is 4'x3'x8'

For now I needed some extra storage for to-be-burned wood. This will be the first wood to go this fall.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380163936.933747.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1380163949.179740.jpg

Last edited:
what a good idea - simple 'pallet book ends' coming my way.

Reactions: AnalogKid
Mini version of pallets Pete's racks which I copied, nice that you can move them around.

Nice. Looks real nice and handy in that location.

Nice - and you split by hand and split rather small - impressive!

I built this on Tuesday out of a couple pallets and a few 2x4s. The pallets are not joined, so I can move them to areas of my yard where I let my wood season. Essentially they are bookends, so add'l pallets can be added to make the stacks as long as you'd like. As it sits it is 4'x3'x8'

For now I needed some extra storage for to-be-burned wood. This will be the first wood to go this fall.

View attachment 112677View attachment 112678

Smart!

Been doing this for years. Works very well. I even made a few pallet "cages" for odd ball sizes and chunks.

Very nice!
Simple.

Pallets instead of 2x4's on the ends works nice also.
I used to make my wood manger out of this set up, then slide a 2x4 between the two bottom pallets front & back and connect them with the 2x4.
Then framed a 2x4 frame laid across the top of the upright pallets, and then put plywood and a tarp over that. Instant wood manger.
Then break down and put in the barn for the off season. Held about a cord
Flap tarp up to load, then flap tarp back down after loaded and bungie down.
Now I just stack 3 or so cord on the back porch.

The tarp over the wood manger, is now laying on top of 1/2 the deck behind it, and now I just stack a season's worth of wood on pallets under the deck on the porch there.

Attachments

• P1010003_01.JPG
    P1010003_01.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 392
  • P1010005_01.JPG
    P1010005_01.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 383
  • P1010001_01.JPG
    P1010001_01.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 387
  • P1010002_01.JPG
    P1010002_01.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
Nice, and if you need additional support, it would be easy to run something across the top to tie the end pallets together.

Reactions: basod
So this thread just gave me an interesting idea for my situation. Why not build these "cribs" on single pallets fill with approximately 1 FC and use pallet forks on the little tractor to move these cribs around and eventually under the 10x24 wood shed.... less handling and ease of moving from seasoning to dry storage...:eek: thanks for the inspiration AnalogKid!!!

Simplicity...less handling this is what I definitely need to do!!

Great idea for using pallets. I have a few sources for getting them you guys have just showed some more great possibilities for stacking and storing wood splits. Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 112677View attachment 112678
That's exactly how I store wood in my garage when burning season comes around. I just moved it out of my garage.
Yours looks a bit nicer than mine, but it gets the job done.. Nice work.

I was looking for ideas for ends on my pallets, picked up 3 last week and was going to get 2x3's for the ends (im cheap and wont pay for the 2x4)

and i noticed you have hemlock in there, i burnthat in the fall

Last edited:
[132772-772c0a0f4cf76c73293fcc601016b891.jpg I like the book end idea . I can't build a shed until I finish clearing . I need something portable , and I already know how I will convert this to a shed. I had left over stain so I used it ... Maybe overkill View attachment 132771

Last edited:
It's all ash I have several more dead ones to take down... That is all for this season . I plan on covering with a roof when I fill it ...

Nice, and if you need additional support, it would be easy to run something across the top to tie the end pallets together.

I use steel clothesline cable and a turnbuckle to secure the top ends of my racks together. Adjustable and reusable.

Status
Not open for further replies.