Quick ? - fuel stabilization

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgcsalsero

Feeling the Heat
Mar 15, 2006
ClevelandRocks
Running Stihl oil and premium gas (92+ octane) in my saw, from Stihl website (below) mentions oil has fuel stabilizers. Is that enough for overwintering my saw if I don't use it for 4-6 months, Thanks

"STIHL 2-cycle oils are premium quality, designed to deliver the highest levels of engine protection in today’s high performance, air-cooled 2-cycle and low emission engines. These engine oils contain a fuel stabilizer and a mixing agent (solvent) to aid in mixing with motor fuel (gasoline). STIHL oils are fully compatible with oxygenated fuels. STIHL 2-cycle engine oils are packaged in 2.6 oz., 5.2 oz., 6.4 oz., 12.8 oz., 1 gal., 5 gal. and 55 gal. containers to conveniently meet user fuel consumption needs."

http://www.stihlusa.com/accessories/twocycleoil.html

churchie said:
Running Stihl oil and premium gas (92+ octane) in my saw, from Stihl website (below) mentions oil has fuel stabilizers. Is that enough for overwintering my saw if I don't use it for 4-6 months, Thanks

"STIHL 2-cycle oils are premium quality, designed to deliver the highest levels of engine protection in today’s high performance, air-cooled 2-cycle and low emission engines. These engine oils contain a fuel stabilizer and a mixing agent (solvent) to aid in mixing with motor fuel (gasoline). STIHL oils are fully compatible with oxygenated fuels. STIHL 2-cycle engine oils are packaged in 2.6 oz., 5.2 oz., 6.4 oz., 12.8 oz., 1 gal., 5 gal. and 55 gal. containers to conveniently meet user fuel consumption needs."

http://www.stihlusa.com/accessories/twocycleoil.html
they say to discard it after 60 days

I store my saws full but when it comes time to use them if the gas smells bad i dump it and refuel. In the greater scheme of 'making useful production' dumping a tank means nothing to me. Just recently...within the last 12 mos or so I was convinced by others I respected to use 'stable' in all my gas cans so...will see how it goes. btw I use low octane gas.

The saw shop I talked to mentioned running gas, oil, and stabilizer for a full 5 minutes to get it fully thru the carb before shelving. In other words, mix up a new batch in tank with added stabilizer (to get the ratios right) & run a bunch of that out before the snow flies . .

Stihl recommends emptying a saw completely every time it's stored, no matter how long its for. They do NOT recommend keeping gas in their units for any period of time now (even overnight). They are having issues with some of the sealants used during manufacturing being dissolved by the ethanol in the gas. This comes from a couple reps I've talked to so it's probably going to be different than whats being sold on the mix oil bottles. So, even though it's stabilized, probably not a good idea....

cmonSTART said:
Stihl recommends emptying a saw completely every time it's stored, no matter how long its for. They do NOT recommend keeping gas in their units for any period of time now (even overnight). They are having issues with some of the sealants used during manufacturing being dissolved by the ethanol in the gas. This comes from a couple reps I've talked to so it's probably going to be different than whats being sold on the mix oil bottles. So, even though it's stabilized, probably not a good idea....

Holy Cow! that's jacked up imo thankfully my 041 goes back to the 70's so I still good to go. How do you like your new job cmonSTART?

cmonSTART said:

Wow, really?? I have to return a chain soon and will run that past a local stihl dealer. .. anyway assuming a 'couple reps' means Stihl employees you've chatted with so I am going to empty the tank from now on (I only avg. running a saw maybe 3 times a month).

Thanks

Big funnel.
Sorry,
Chad

chad3 said:
Big funnel.
Sorry,
Chad

What I've done in the past is simply burn through my tanks near the end.....

It just seems that each time I'm pouring fuel, out of a small engine, it's just going everywhere. Crawling up and down the sides of the tool..... Freaking annoying.

sl7vk said:
chad3 said:
Big funnel.
Sorry,
Chad

What I've done in the past is simply burn through my tanks near the end.....

It just seems that each time I'm pouring fuel, out of a small engine, it's just going everywhere. Crawling up and down the sides of the tool..... Freaking annoying.

I've talked myself out of running a 2 stroke dry because you are starving the engine of lubrication.

I'm testing Sta Bil's claim of 2 years life in the cars right now. I'll ley you know in another year or so...

Chris

Two words: Sea Foam.

I use it in all my small engines...lawnmower, weedeater, snowblower, chainsaw (Husky), and 70 hp outboard. I add it before storing for the year, and run the engine for 5 minutes or so to make sure I have treated fuel run through it. I actually take the opposite approach to running my motors dry. I always store them 100% topped off, as I have been told it reduces the chance of condensation accumulating in the gas tank. That has always been a debate in winterizing outboards- dry or full. I have done it both ways, but full with treated gas makes more sense to me. I always worried about dry rotting seals when you store an engine dry. I have never had any carb or fuel issues. In fact, I had an old Chrysler 70 hp a few years ago. It probably should have had the carbs rebuilt. It would never idle when I first got it. I ran Sea Foam with just about every tank of gas. By the time I sold it, it would idle all day long, and I never touched the carbs.

You know what- I'd worry more about the ethanol in most gas now sitting there all winter than I would worry about fuel going bad. The number of reports of ethanol causing car engine and seal issues- real or not- would worry me in my baby out there in the shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.