Quick Question.. Alderlea T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again everybody :)

Me and Mrs loon spent quite awhile at the stove store this morning and after measuring what we have to replace the old stove 8 Billion times :shut:

The T6 will not fit!

The guy at the store had a T5 burning nicely when we got there and after looking at other stoves, i kept going back to that T5 ;-)

Its in the mail and will pick it up Thursday..pictures will be up for sure..

loon

http://chimneysweeponline.com/pacaldert5.htm

BrowningBAR said:
Hogwildz said:
BrowningBAR said:
I would love to have a T6. Good looks, great clearances and, based on the reports here, great burn times. Like hen's teeth on the East Coast, thought.
I bet the dealer here in Bloomsburg has or can get it Brown

I was referring to the used market.

AH, well I surely would not hold my breath there. BG is the only lucky person I know of getting a used one, thanks to Tom, and it was a gently used showroom model.
I don't see many BK's used either.
I suppose if you ain't seeing them up for sale used, they must be a decent stove keeping their owner warm & happy.

All inserts as I remember.

Hogwildz said:
BrowningBAR said:
Hogwildz said:
BrowningBAR said:
I would love to have a T6. Good looks, great clearances and, based on the reports here, great burn times. Like hen's teeth on the East Coast, thought.
I bet the dealer here in Bloomsburg has or can get it Brown

I was referring to the used market.

AH, well I surely would not hold my breath there. BG is the only lucky person I know of getting a used one, thanks to Tom, and it was a gently used showroom model.
I don't see many BK's used either.
I suppose if you ain't seeing them up for sale used, they must be a decent stove keeping their owner warm & happy.

I saw a used T5 on craigslist in CT recently. They are out there, but it does take looking.

Picked it up yesterday ;)

DSC00686-1.jpg

Congratulations. Did it pass the Emma check, or is she saying, "Oh no, more heat."

She says "to hell with this ball" "I'm gonna chew me this nice tasty looking strap". LOL

Looks like Emma wants the stove up and running, shes looking for the heat.

Where did you get it from? Bought ours up in Peterborough...great dealer that gave us a great price. Finished the brick behind it the other day and now have to finish off with some trim and paint.

hga12 002a.jpg

:) ya she can hardly wait for next winter gang ;)

Kodiak we picked it up in Kingston and i dont want to know the deal you got ;hm ;lol

and the stove looks great at your place..

She was more interested in chewing the crate hog ::-)

loon

:) ya she can hardly wait for next winter gang ;)

Kodiak we picked it up in Kingston and i dont want to know the deal you got ;hm ;lol

and the stove looks great at your place..

loon
I can't honestly remember exactly what we paid. Dealer in Kingston is top notch though, you will do alright by them!
Did you get it with a blower? Local dealer talked me out of it, and I wish he hadn't. From what little cold weather we did get I can see where one will make a big difference. Aftermarket ones go for about half the price.
Thanks!

Nice to see you got it!
clap.gif
thumb.gif

Are you planning on firing it up this spring or do we have to wait in suspense until next fall :mad: .....

No i didnt get the fan Kodiak as what i am thinking of doing is installing a permanent one in behind the stove when i install the T5...something like this.And yes i would do business again with those guys ;)

Certified, the stove will be up and running soon ;) jammed my small finger really good the other day :rolleyes: so it might take a couple weeks?

loon

DSC00693-1.jpg

Where did you get it from? Bought ours up in Peterborough...great dealer that gave us a great price. Finished the brick behind it the other day and now have to finish off with some trim and paint.View attachment 64239

Why not just move the stove over 8-12 inches so you don't need that odd pipe set up?

Loon, I would try the stove without the blower first. It convects very nicely and may work without a blower. If you do determine that you need a fan I would get the factory unit. The back of the stove is sealed with the heatshield forming a duct that forces the airflow over the back of the stove, then at right angles skimming right over the actual stove top surface. An external fan won't be able to do this nearly as effectively and it will be noisier. The Alderlea fan is quite quiet.

Why not just move the stove over 8-12 inches so you don't need that odd pipe set up?
That "odd pipe set up" gives me an easy access clean-out to run my soot eater through to save my lumpy arse from falling off out metal roof in the winter. It was also designed that way from the beginning to give me my clearances. Is it a unique set-up?

Loon, I would try the stove without the blower first. It convects very nicely and may work without a blower. If you do determine that you need a fan I would get the factory unit. The back of the stove is sealed with the heatshield forming a duct that forces the airflow over the back of the stove, then at right angles skimming right over the actual stove top surface. An external fan won't be able to do this nearly as effectively and it will be noisier. The Alderlea fan is quite quiet.

I found a external fan did very little to maximize heat out-put, but it did move the heat around a little...and made a lot of noise. Our farm house is at least 175 years old and leaks air like a sieve so squeezing out all btu's possible is a must. A aftermarket fan (on for a hundred and sixty bucks right now) is in the works right now...just not looking forward to pulling that behemoth out again!!

That "odd pipe set up" gives me an easy access clean-out to run my soot eater through to save my lumpy arse from falling off out metal roof in the winter. It was also designed that way from the beginning to give me my clearances. Is it a unique set-up?

I would say that is a pretty unique setup. On my T6 the stove pipe goes straight up and if I want to check the chimney or clean from the bottom up I just take out a couple of screw slide the telescoping piece down and access the chimney that way. The 2 90° turns in such a short distance will effect your draft significantly in my opinion.

Ok guys i will wait till its up and running then see about a fan ;)

Thanks

And i just found out the other day that an old boss of mine has been using the T6 since last year..and i am gonna take a drive out to his farm to see it in action. Will take the camera :)

loon

I would say that is a pretty unique setup. On my T6 the stove pipe goes straight up and if I want to check the chimney or clean from the bottom up I just take out a couple of screw slide the telescoping piece down and access the chimney that way. The 2 90° turns in such a short distance will effect your draft significantly in my opinion.

It might affect it, but not to the extent where it is a problem. If I crank the draft open fast, you can see ashes move, and even if it is a real crappy day out there is little to no back puffing. Pretty much stuck with it now anyways unless I want to move my hearth way out from where it is.

Seems like an odd way to go for a bottom up cleaning.

Just want to throw my $.02 in. I can't say enough on how I love this stove. We heat about 1500 square feet and the stove is plenty big enough. this past winter only had a few really cold days but the stove worked great. I do not have a fan, but on the coldest days in the morning I would just aim a box fan at it and after a couple of hours the temperature would be back up in the house and I can turn the fan off. I love putting a big round in after it's up and going good, and watching the secondaries burn down onto the top of the round. it'll burn like that for hours. I have had to open an outside door now and then because I've put too much wood in, but better too much then not enough. I've only had a small puff of smoke into the house, but I opened the stove door too quick, my fault not the stove. I was having some difficulty with the ash removal but found that I could just put the shovel on the bottom and push it back and lift up and gently shake and there were would only be fine ash left in the shovel. l do not use the ash system built into the stove, fear of having an uncontrolled source of air if something gets stuck in the door. My last experience will be to take the baffle out and clean the chimney, but I am very confident that it will be clean, it is amazing how once my pipe is up to 450 (i think everyone's temperature will vary) there is no smoke coming out of the chimney, I can rely on that >450=no smoke. My old DW had visible smoke almost all of the time. Congrats on the new stove. have fun installing it, it is very heavy and very difficult to get off the pallets. I only had me and my wife, more big strong people is highly recommended.

Thanks gogreen and thats good news ;)

Got a few of the guys 'willing' to make a Saturday out of it and pretty sure i am going to have to back the truck up at the beer store, but thinking its gonna be money well spent ;lol

loon

Status
Not open for further replies.