Quick question for a free tip!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linesider

Jun 3, 2008
Southern CT
Any hints, I called the store and an employee told me that this was correct. No screws would go into the thimble from the elbow. Any thoughts, I will be reassembling this weekend .

I always want at least two screws at every pipe joint. Too many times I have heard that "poof" in the stove and heard the crinkle in the pipe that made me say "Damn! I am glad I had those screws in there.".

Cleaning my six inch prefab chimney today and it was the first time I took it apart since the professional install last october. My question is do I need screws in this piece or not? The piece of double wall pipe, that attaches to the box type pipe that goes through the ceiling in my living room, this piece is an elbow right up against the double wall pipe. There are three screws in the elbow, but they are short ones that don't thread into the box pipe. Does this matter? The pipe is all screwed together from the stove up and there was little to no movement.

Now for my free tip.
This worked so I was prowd of myself. I took a lenght of 20 feet of pool hose and stuck it onto the end of my shop vac and then left the shop vac outside. Used the vac to clean out the top of the stove, and areas where you can't get a brush. Piece of hose cost ten bucks, no expensive filters and no mess. I would only use it after a cleaning so it worked for me.

Thanks again for all the great help I have gotten from this site.

I used to put the shop vac out on the deck with a long hose when I pulled the old slammer installed stove out and cleaned the chimney. The last time I did it my head was buried up in the fireplace vacuuming away. When I stood up the entire room was black air. A piece of old charcoal had nuked the filter and the exhaust hole had turned toward the door from me tugging the intake hose.

My wife was not amused and it took a week to clean the first floor of the house.

I put a wet tubesock on the outlet of the shopvac and saved having to buy pool hose. You can tell it works because the sock gets dirty.

Maybe I could clarify the question.
The double wall elbow which attaches to the thimble in my ceiling directly above the stove is not screwed in. It's just held in place after attaching the rest of the pipe off the stove, upward pressure. Is this correct?

screw together. better safe than sorry.

Linesider said:
Cleaning my six inch prefab chimney today and it was the first time I took it apart since the professional install last october. My question is do I need screws in this piece or not? The piece of double wall pipe, that attaches to the box type pipe that goes through the ceiling in my living room, this piece is an elbow right up against the double wall pipe. There are three screws in the elbow, but they are short ones that don't thread into the box pipe. Does this matter? The pipe is all screwed together from the stove up and there was little to no movement.
pics'd be nice. info like brand or class a and interior pipe would also kinda help.
take a stab at it for you anyways,

if yer talking simpson dura plus and dvl inside, then no screws are required at the ceiling box, but a stainless steel close clearance adapter is...

typically not enuf ss liner from the class a sticks thru the box to allow for screws, and they are not required by code unless specified by the pipe maker.
all other joints except the flue colar require 3 screws for code, unless other wise specified by pipe maker

I used furnace cement from my elbow to the thimble. as seen here PIC #17 https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42676/

This is the Simpson DVL double wall pipe. The adapter clicks into the thimble and the elbow clicks to the adapter i could screw the elbow to the adapter but there is no way (with the simpson DVL system) to screw the adapter to the thimble cover so i used the cement to be on the safe side.

Hope you got all that lol

John

I dont think screws are required there, but if it was me and there was a way to screw, im screwing, just to be safe

Status
Not open for further replies.